What are Blood Oranges?
A variety of oranges with a red sometimes maroon colored center. This colorful pigment contains more antioxidants than normal orange citrus.
What do Blood Oranges Taste Like?
The taste varies depending on the ripeness or variety of blood orange. Flavors consist of either tart or sweet raspberry mixed with citrus.
Why You Should Bake Blood Orange Coconut Muffins
- Soft citrus and coconut flavors are light and not overly filling.
- Muffins are a perfect on the go breakfast.
- Rich in antioxidants!
Blood Orange and Coconut Muffins
Recipe for Blood Orange and Coconut Muffins. Soft flavorful spring muffins perfect for breakfast or a mid day snack. Not overly sweet with just the right amount of citrus. Prep, bake, and eat in as little as 25 min. Easy to freeze and enjoy at later time!
- 3/4 cup (190 g) coconut sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (440 g) sifted all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (83 ml) melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- zest from one blood orange
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 g) coconut flakes
Prepare muffin tin with paper cups or grease each section. This recipe made 9 regular sized muffins. (will make 12 if you don't fill each cup to the top)
In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients (except coconut flakes).
Combine all wet ingredients together separate bowl.
Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry mix, stirring with spoon until batter is formed.
Gently fold in coconut chips.
Distribute batter into muffin cups. (I fill all the way to the top)
Bake at 375 F for 15-20 min. Toothpick should come out clean when inserted into center.
Let cool for 10 min, dust with icing sugar and additional orange zest.