My favorite savory breakfast recipe is always going to involve flaky crust, eggs, and cheese. Which is why I’m sharing this healthy flavor packed version of mini quiche. These savory pies tick all the breakfast boxes with fresh greens, veggies, dairy, and meat. Plus a little hint of sweet maple bourbon vinaigrette. Gourmet breakfast at home, right?!
To create this bacon spinach quiche recipe I partnered with Taylor Farms, a high quality supplier of fresh salads and vegetables. Using sustainable farming practices, Taylor Farms operates on solar and wind energy to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. They offer delicious salad kits, equipped with a mixture of fresh ingredients, dressing, and crunchy toppings. Perfect for making a single dish without lots of leftovers.
Breakfast quiche can take on so many flavor profiles, but lets go old Kentucky shall we with bourbon and bacon!! The Maple Bourbon Bacon Chopped Salad Kit has just enough bacon, dressing, and veggies to make six mini quiches. I also added fresh baby arugula and spinach to cover my intake of greens for the day. (greens baked in a crust totally counts!)
So, lets get down to the specifics. First, make a homemade pie crust with a bit of dry herb infusion. I chose thyme and sage, but feel free to leave them out. Layer the mini quiche tins with dough. Next, fill your quiche crust with a mixture of greens, veggies, and cheese. Then, pour in your egg, milk, and vinaigrette mixture. Bake until fully cooked, top with more fresh greens, and honey almonds. Finally, grab a white linen to serve, because this is a high class quiche!
Tips for Making Mini Quiche Crust
- You will need six round mini tart pans. This recipe can also work for one large 9 inch pie pan.
- Hand whisk together salt and flour in a medium bowl.
- Use cold unsalted butter, chopped into small cubes.
- Start by mixing the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter. Then use your hands and work the butter a bit smaller until it resembles a cornmeal texture.
- If you choose to add dry herbs, sprinkle them in and mix by hand.
- Slowly add a Tbsp of cold water at a time, while working into the flour by hand.
- Once the dough comes together to form a ball, you’re done.
- The dough should not be too dry nor overly wet.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for up to 2 hrs.
- Dough can also be made the night before. Just sit on the counter for about 20 minutes before rolling out.
- Place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into thirds.
- Roll into a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Lay crust over each pie pan and let it sink into the center.
- Gently press into the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Cut excess dough from the sides, leaving a 1/4 inch over hang.
- The crust will shrink as it bakes, so I always trim with just a little extra sticking up.
- Repeat with the rest of dough and pie pans.
- Press the trimmings back together into a ball and roll out to make more crust.
- Option to pre-bake crust for 10 minutes before filling.
- Simply prick the bottom of each crust a couple times with a fork, place on baking try.
- Bake for 1o minutes then remove and fill. Return mini quiches to oven for final bake.
Tips for Making Breakfast Mini Quiche
- Use homemade crust! Because it tastes the best!
- Fill quiche crust with Taylor Farms fresh Organic Baby Arugula, Baby Spinach, and contents from the Maple Bourbon Bacon Chopped Salad Kit .
- Mix 2 tsp of the maple bourbon vinaigrette in with the eggs and milk.
- Pour the egg mixture to just a hair below the rim of the dish.
- They will puff as they bake, but level back down once cooled.
- Place all mini quiche on a cookie sheet, then set on the middle rack of oven.
- Bake until crust is golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool about 5 minutes before removing from pie dish.
- Serve warm with an extra topping of baby arugula, honey almonds, and a drizzle of vinaigrette.
Breakfast Mini Quiche
- 2 cups (320 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 16 Tbsp Cold Unsalted Butter cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme optional
- 1 tsp Dried Sage optional
- 7-8 Tbsp Ice Water
- 1 Taylor Farms Maple Bourbon Bacon Salad Kit
- 1 Cup Taylor Farms Fresh Baby Spinach chopped
- 1 Cup Taylor Farms Fresh Baby Arugula
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1/4 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese Shredded
Make Quiche Crust
- Sift flour into bowl, whisk in sugar and salt.
- Add butter pieces and begin squeezing them into the flour, mixture with your hands or use a pastry cutter. Continue working the butter until it resembles cornmeal with small pieces of butter. Mix in dried herbs if desired.
- Pour in the ice water (add slowly and work in with hands, until moist dough is formed. should not be soggy).
- Knead the dough 2 or 3 times on a lightly floured surface and pat into a ball.
- Place the pie crust dough ball in the fridge for 30 min to an hour to chill. (Can make the day before, set on counter an 30 min before making tarts to soften)
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Line each mini pie pan with dough, gently pressing into bottom and corners.
- Trim away excess dough. Reshape trimming into ball and roll for additional crust.
- Repeat with remaining pie pans.
- Place lined pans in firdge for 15-30 minutes to firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place chilled pie crusts onto cookie sheet. Prick bottom of crusts with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes then remove.
Assemble Mini Quiches
- In a small bowl hand whisk together milk, eggs, and 2 tsp of bourbon vinaigrette.
- Add chopped spinach, arugula, carrots, cabbages, and iceberg lettuce as desired into each pie crust. Don't over fill. Just a few pieces of each.
- Divide bacon amongst the six quiche.
- Sprinkle with cheese. I add a good covering of cheese!
- Pour egg mixture into each crust filling almost to the top.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Place all six quiche carefully into cookie sheet.
- Gently lower onto middle rack of oven. (too fast and they will spill over!)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on rack before removing from pie pans.
- Serve warm topped with baby arugula, the honey almonds from salad kit and drizzle of additional vinaigrette.