Chocolate Banana Oat Bread is my favorite version of the traditional banana bread recipe. Sweetened with maple syrup, extra cinnamon, and a crunchy nut topping make it great for breakfast or dessert. I prefer to eat it warm with a cup of coffee. Slather on a little peanut butter for an added treat.
I’ve had my share of banana breads and there was always something missing…chocolate! Without overdoing it I added just enough cocoa powder to allow the banana flavor to still come through. The addition of oats makes this is a healthier more filling recipe. Now put those browning bananas to good use and get to baking. This warm wintery loaf does not disappoint!
Tips for Making Chocolate Banana Oat Bread:
- This recipe is a simple mix, pour, and bake!
- Use over ripe browning bananas for the best flavor.
- I simply hand whisk the dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Then pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until combines.
- I prefer almond milk of this recipe, but it can be substituted in two ways. First, do an even substitute for 3/4 Cup whole milk. Second, mix half water and half heavy cream to equal 3/4 Cup.
- Spices can be adjusted to your personal taste. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract if your feeling wild.
- If you want more chocolatey flavor, toss in a few chocolate chips!
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper and let it hand over the longer sides. Once the loaf is baked simply grab each side and lift the loaf from the pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and then sprinkle nuts of your choice.
- Loaf is baked through at around 35-40 minutes. I like to cover mine loosely with aluminum foil at the 20 minute mark to prevent over browning my topping.
- You will know loaf is baked through when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Store your loaf in wrapped aluminum foil or an air tight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Chocolate Banana Oat Bread
Chocolate Banana Oat Bread, hearty and healthy twist on the traditional banana bread. Sweetened with maple syrup and a sprinkling of crunchy nuts.
- 3/4 Cup Whole Oats
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves
- 3/4 cup Whole Fat Milk
- 2 1/2 Mashed Bananas over ripened
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips *optional
- chopped walnuts
- chopped pecans
Whisk together dry ingredients into a small bowl.
In a separate bowl stir together wet ingredients.
Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula, then fold in chocolate chips last.
Pour into parchment lined loaf pan.
Sprinkle oats and nuts across the top.
Bake at 350 F ( 176 C) for 45-50 min until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 15 minutes.