What you need for summer cookouts is the Best Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe!!!
When I think back to summer cookouts as a child, I can remember there always being a delicious Chocolate Pound Cake! We didn’t have sprinkled cupcakes or frosted cookies, nope it was a rich chocolate cake served with homemade ice cream. And it was the perfect consistency for hand holding and running around with sparklers 🙂
If you’re American and from the South, you have summer cookouts from June through August. There are hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade baked beans, deviled eggs, slaw, and chili. But, the best part is always the dessert table! In between playing games, catching fire flies, or watching fireworks, I made sure to pay the desserts a visit.
Everyone knows I’m a pie fan, however my favorite cake is pound cake. Especially the dark chocolate variety. A good Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe is the perfect compliment to ice cream, chocolate sauce, and as breakfast served cold the next morning with coffee!
This recipe yields a moist cake center with the use of greek yogurt and a decorative outer design with the use of coconut oil. Feel free to use any bundt pan your heart desires, I just love the pinwheel shape for the firework celebrating months.
Why this is the Best Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
The use of Dutch Unsweetened Cocoa Powder gives this cake a rich chocolate flavor that chocoholics crave in a chocolate cake. You can also toss in a cup of dark chocolate chips or chunks for an extra boost of chocolate flavor. Don’t forget the chocolate sauce to pour on your finished chocolate cake before serving with ice cream!!
Tips for Making Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe
- Use room temperature softened butter.
- Cream your butter and sugar together before adding the greek yogurt and vanilla.
- Sift your flour and cocoa powder to prevent lumps.
- For a fun design, lightly coat a think layer of coconut oil in your decorative bundt pan then apply a thin coating of flour. Rotate pan, tapping sides and bottom with hand to spread the flour. Knock out an excess flour that doesn’t stick. Once baked the coconut oil and flour will leave a white border line on your cake. This is totally optional and juts for aesthetic purposes. You can also spray pan with baking spray before adding batter as well 🙂
- Let cake cool almost completely before flipping upside down and removing from pan. If you remove cake while hot, it may tear at the crust.
- Serve cake with chocolate sauce and homemade ice cream!
- Store in an air tight container for 4-5 days.
- Or slice cake and individually wrap each peace in freezer safe plastic. Freeze slices for 2-3 months.
Chocolate Pound Cake
- 2 ¼ Cups (281 g) Cake Flour sifted
- ¾ Cup (64 g) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 16 Tbsp Unsalted Butter softened
- 1.5 Cups (330 g) Light Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup (100 g) Granulated Sugar
- ¾ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- ½ Cup (60 g) Powdered Sugar
- 4-5 Tbsp Whole Milk
- Prepare Bundt Pan with baking Spray and Preheat Oven to 325 F
- In a medium bowl, sift flour and cocoa powder, then hand whisk together adding in baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer or large bowl with hand mixer, cream together sugars and softened butter. Using paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add greek yogurt and vanilla to creamed butter and sugar. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Add one egg at a time and mix until incorporated.
- Next, spoon in cocoa and flour mixture while mixing at medium low speed.
- Scrape bottom and sides of bowl as needed Until everything is incorporated and smooth.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan.
- Bake on middle to lowest rack for 45-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack completely before inverting and removing cake from pan.
- In a small bowl hand whisk together ingredients. Add more powdered sugar a ¼ Cup at a time to thicken and milk 1 Tbsp at a time to thin. Pour chocolate sauce onto sliced cake.