This summer you have to try a warm Grilled Green Tomato Salad using fresh garden green tomatoes! Tomatoes are seasoned with sea salt and olive oil then charred on the grill. These flavorful green tomatoes are then placed on a bed of fresh greens, topped with burrata cheese, crispy pancetta, and a lemon vinaigrette.
*This Recipe is Sponsored by Earthbound Farm. All thoughts and text are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help make Two Cups Flour possible.
The farmer’s markets are usually bursting with green tomatoes this time of year, or maybe you have some in growing in the garden that haven’t yet ripened. They can be prepared for many dishes, such as burgers, sandwiches, pies, and tarts. Grilling them is one of my favorite ways to enjoy a green tomato, and mixed in a flavorful salad is the perfect summer backyard lunch.
To bring you this amazing salad I partnered with Earthbound Farm to showcase their fresh organic Spring Mix and Baby Arugula Greens. Having pre-packaged fresh lettuce is so convenient when you’re craving a salad. Earthbound Farm offers certified organic products of the highest quality.
Having a wide selection of salad choices is perfect when you want to experiment in the kitchen. I know growing fresh lettuce is out of the question for me! Knowing I can grab a variety of long lasting fresh greens is so comforting.
I chose a blend of fresh greens to create a hearty salad bed for my grilled tomatoes. The baby Arugula gives a nice peppery kick to the Spring Mix Greens for a mixture of flavor. Paired with crispy pancetta, and burrata this salad is an explosion of tasty goodness!
Tips for Grilled Green Tomatoes
- Cook your tomatoes to your preferred texture. I keep them slightly firm as opposed to soft and gooey.
- Thicker cut tomatoes will take a little longer to cook.
- Slice tomatoes about 1/4 inch thick for best results.
- Coat tomatoes with olive oil, salt, garlic powder and pepper before grilling.
- Grill about 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on them to prevent over charring.
Long gone are the days of canned bacon bits on my salad! Say hello to your new favorite pork topping. Pancetta is a cured and salty Italian-style bacon. It can be enjoyed raw or cooked. I chose to crisp small cubed pancetta fro this recipe for an added texture element.
Cubed pancetta can be found in most deli sections. Simply toss it in a skillet and cook on medium high heat with an occasional gentle stir under crispy. The smell alone will make you salivate!
What is the difference between Mozzarella and Burrata?
I’m so glad you asked! Most salads are topped with shredded mozzarella, parmesan, or feta crumbles. But, I decided to go a step further and elevate my green tomato salad with chunks of Burrata Cheese!!
Mozzarella is a soft Italian Cheese made from cow’s milk, that we should all be pretty familiar with. Burratta on the other hand is Mozzarella’s classier older brother. Basically take mozzarella and fill it with a stringy curd and cultured cream for a whole new texture element.
Grilled Green Tomato Salad
Green Tomato Salad
- 3 Green Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Cup Earthbound Farm Baby Arugula
- 2 Cups Earthbound Farm Spring Mix
- 1 Cup Pancetta cubes
- 1 Serving Burrata Cheese
- Lemon Vinaigrette or Dressing of Choice
- Place pancetta cubes in medium skillet and cook on medium heat until crispy. Stir occasionally. Transfer to paper towel lined plate to soak up grease and set aside.
- Heat grill or grill pan. Slice the green tomatoes about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place green tomatoes slices to bowl and evenly coat lightly with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Grill each side of the tomato 2-4 minutes until edges begin to shrivel and tomatoes have softened slightly. Cook until your desired texture.
- Remove tomatoes from grill and prep salad.
- Toss baby arugula and spring mixed greens in serving dish. Top with grilled green tomatoes.
- Take a single Burrata Cheese ball and tear into pieces or serve whole if desired.
- Sprinkle crispy pancetta onto salad and drizzle with lemon vinaigrette or desired dressing.
- Salad best enjoyed immediately!