Get ready for this Banana Rum flavored Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich recipe! Yep, you read that right. Chocolate Chip Cookies sandwiched together with homemade banana ice cream, both made with banana rum cream.
*This Recipe is Sponsored by Blue Chair Bay Rum. All thoughts and text are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help make Two Cups Flour possible.
This is not your ordinary cookie ice cream sandwich folks. We’re talking jumbo chewy chocolate chip cookies that are already incredible on their own, but I went that extra step to make banana rum ice cream with chunks of fresh banana for a perfect summer treat.
Banana Rum Cookies and Ice Cream
I can remember as a kid my mom making ice cream cookie sandwiches and grabbing one out of the freezer on family beach trips. The taste of homemade cookies and slow churn ice cream can’t be compared.
Now, as an adult I think a little booze is in order for my hot summer day dessert, don’t you?
To bring this cookie and ice cream combo to you I partnered with Blue Chair Bay Rum to showcase their amazing Banana Rum Cream. Not only is this smooth rum cream delicious over ice or in a cocktail, it makes one crazy tasty additive to baked and frozen treats.
The Banana Rum Cream has a flavor profile of ripe banana, caramel and vanilla. All pair perfectly with chocolate cookies! Oh yeah and mixed in with heavy cream and chunks of banana had made this my new favorite ice cream.
How do you make ice cream sandwiches from scratch?
First, you need a great cookie recipe. I prefer a chocolate chip cookie that has a little thickness, chewy on the inside with a little crunch on the outside. I must also mention that a bigger cookie makes for a better sandwich and more surface area for holding a big scoop of ice cream!
Secondly, you need homemade ice cream! Store bought can be quicker, but where the fun and flavor control in that? Making ice cream from scratch is easier than you think. All you need are a few key ingredients and simple ice cream maker, and a freezer safe container.
Prep your ice cream a day ahead, so there’s plenty of time to let it firm in the freezer.
Now, you just need to bake your cookies and let them cool. Scoop a generous amount of ice cream onto a single cookie, then top it with another cookie. Wrap your cookie sandwich in plastic wrap and place in the freezer to firm.
Banana Rum Chocolate Chip Cookie
The addition of Blue Chair Banana Rum Cream adds a soft banana flavor to every bite of these chewy chocolate chip cookies. Plus brown sugar and a whole cup of large dark chocolate chips can’t be beat.
Homemade Banana Ice Cream
Slow churned ice cream flavored with banana rum cream and chunks of fresh ripened bananas, need I say more? This is an old-fashioned Banana Ice Cream recipe with milk, cream, eggs, and a little boozy treat!
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich Recipe
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 3/4 Cups (219 grams) All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup (125 grams) Bread Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup (226 grams) Unsalted Butter softened
- 1.5 Cups (330 grams) Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Blue Chair Bay Banana Rum Cream
- 1 Cup (170 grams) Dark Chocolate Morsels
Banana Rum Ice Cream
- 2 Cups (480 grams) Whole Milk
- 2 Cups (480 grams) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup (200 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1/2 Cup (120 grams) Blue Chair Bay Banana Rum Cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup (200 grams) Chopped Banana
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hand whisk together all purpose flour, bread flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat together softened butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large mixing bowl with hand held mixer. Beat until fluffy 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and Banana Rum Cream mix again until incorporated. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula as needed.
- Mixing on low speed slowly spoon in flour until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate morsels with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Place cookie dough in fridge for 20 minutes to chill.
- Line two cookies sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Using a 3 Tablespoon or 2 Tablespoon scoop, measure out cookie dough balls. I went with a 3 Tablespoon scoop for larger cookies.
- Place cookie dough balls on cookie sheet spacing 2-3 inches apart.
- Bakes at 350 F (180 C) 10-12 minutes for smaller cookies and 14-16 minutes for larger cookies. Cookies are bakes when starting to crisp around the edges. Don't over bake. They will continue to firm in the center while they cool on wire rack.
- Remove tray from oven and place on wire rack for 10 minutes. Slide cookies off cookie sheet and allow to completely cool on rack.
Banana Rum Ice Cream
- In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, stir together cream, milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, and salt. Heat until warm, barely a bubble, and not boiling.
- In a large bowl, hand whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Whisk until light in color, about two minutes.
- Slowly pour half of the hot mixture into the egg mixture, continually whisking.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture (tempered eggs) back into saucepan with remaining cream mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon for 2-4 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Banana rum Cream, and vanilla. Pour mixture through a sieve into a large bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours, until thoroughly chilled.
- Transfer sweet ice cream base into the ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. It should thicken and resemble soft serve ice cream. (about 25-30 minutes)
- Once thickened fold in the banana chunks and transfer ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for 5-6 hrs or overnight.
Make Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Take cooled baked cookie and flip upside down. Place a generous scoop of ice cream on cookie then top with another cookie.
- You can either eat right away or wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for enjoying later!