Lime Frosting consists of cream cheese, butter, sugar and fresh lime juice. This is a perfect spread for cookies, cupcakes, and cakes. A strong zesty lime flavor with a hint of vanilla. Instead of buying frosting from the store, make your own fresh at home.
This recipe uses fresh lime juice which can be substituted with juice from lemons, oranges, or grapefruit. If you want an extra punch of citrus flavor, add in some fresh zest from your fruit of choice.
What you need to make Lime Frosting:
- Fresh Limes
- Room Temperature Cream Cheese
- Room Temperature unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Confectionary Sugar
- Large Mixing Bowl and Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- A delicious dessert to spread your frosting on!! Try this Tropical Cake Recipe
- 8 oz (226 g) cream cheese
- 8 Tbsp softened butter
- 4-5 cups (440 -550 g) confectionary sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) fresh squeezed lime juice
Make sure cream cheese and butter are room temperature before you make your frosting.
Set out on the counter for 2.5-3 hrs prior.
Place cream cheese and butter into bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment or large bowl using a hand mixer.
Beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
Add vanilla, lime juice, and confectionary sugar, then beat until smooth. More sugar can be added for a thicker frosting.
Spread on cakes, cupcakes or cookies!
Frosting can also be kept in an air tight container and stored in the fridge until ready to use.