Swiss Roll is all about the swirl created between sponge cake and a delicious creamy filling! An elevated version of the classic European dessert with flavors of chocolate, orange and cardamom, then topped with chopped walnuts. Basically condensing a layer cake into a fun, easy to slice cylinder. Each bite includes orange spiced sponge, creamy filling, and dark chocolate frosting.
Let’s talk chocolate first! Now, I’m a huge dark chocolate lover and an even bigger chocolate frosting fan. So, of course when Wilton asked me to create a dessert using their new Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Icing, I quickly agreed and started dreaming of cake.
I chose a Swill Roll Cake to add double the naturally flavored chocolate icing, mixing it with cream cheese for the filling and then slathering on another top coat to the finished roll. I mean you can never have too much chocolate frosting right?!
Tips for Making Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll:
Make the Orange Cardamom Sponge Cake:
- Use a 10.5 in. x 15.5 in. Jelly Roll Pan.
- Spray pan with a very light coating of non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whip your eggs untiled doubled in size and fluffy with the whisk attachment on stand mixer. Then staying on high speed, slowly pour in your sugar.
- Once the egg mixture is super fluffy and filled with air, remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in your flour mixture a third at a time.
- Slowly pass the spatula through the fluffy eggs until you no longer see streaks of flour and make sure to scrape the bottom.
- Pour batter onto prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with an offset spatula.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Sponge should be soft and spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
- Take a sharp knife and go around the edges of the sponge to release it from the pan.
- Flip the pan (using oven mitts!) upside down onto a thin kitchen towel. You can also use parchment paper.
- Peel away parchment paper and discard.
- Start at the short edge and begin to roll your sponge into a cylinder using the towel to keep it shape.
- Its important to roll right away while the sponge is warm to prevent tears and cracks.
- Tuck the sponge with your fingers to make a round roll. If you roll fast and lose it will make flat seems, not round curves.
- Set the rolled sponge in the towel onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling:
- Use room temperature cream cheese to prevent curdling.
- Place cream cheese and one can of Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Icing into bowl of stand mixer.
- Mix with whisk attachment until smooth.
Assemble Swiss Roll:
- Unroll cooled sponge and let towel lay flat underneath.
- Take chocolate cream cheese frosting and gently smooth across the sponge with a small spatula.
- Roll the sponge back into a cylinder, this time not using the towel.
- Place roll see, side down onto serving dish.
- Place in the fridge to firm for 30 minutes.
- Using an additional can of frosting, and spread an even layer across the Swiss roll.
- Take walnut pieces and gently press onto outer layer of frosting.
- Sprinkle Naturally Flavored Chocolate Jimmies sprinkles around the walnut pieces.
- Option to not use walnuts and cover with sprinkles.
- You can also pipe decorative flower patterns onto chocolate with a Flower Tip.
I recommend serving your Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll immediately with a large glass of milk!
Orange Chocolate Cardamom Cake
- 3/4 Cup (96 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Orange Zest
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup (100 g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter for coating parchment paper
Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 Can Wilton Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Frosting
- 6 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 Can Wilton Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Frosting
- 2 Cups Chopped Walnuts
- Chocolate Jimmy Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly spray with non-stick spray and line the bottom of an 10.5 x 15 in. Jelly Roll Pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl hand whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and orange zest. Set aside.
- Place eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and beat on high until foamy (1-2 min.). Then, add vanilla and gradually add the sugar and continue on high for about 7 min.
- The egg mixture should double in volume and be full of air bubbles, like a cloud.
- Remove bowl from stand and slowly begin to fold in the flour a third at a time, using a spatula. Stop mixing when you no longer see streaks of flour.
- Take melted butter and coat the top of the parchment paper.
- Scrape batter onto jelly roll pan. Take a small offset spatula and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake sponge on the lower rack for about 10 minutes until golden.
- It should spring back when gently pressed with finger tip.
- Remove from oven and gently run a thin knife around edges of cake to loosen from the pan.
- While cake is still hot, using oven mitts invert cake face down onto a clean, dry linen towel (you can also use parchment paper).
- Peel away the parchment paper from the sponge cake.
- Starting at the short side, roll the cake into the towel. Go slowly and try to evenly the tuck the sponge into a cylinder as you go.
- Set rolled sponge cake on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes,
While cake is cooling make your chocolate cream filling.
- Combine cream cheese and chocolate frosting in bowl of stand mixer and whip until smooth.
- Carefully unroll the cake cake and gently pull off towel. Cake can still lay on the open towel as you assemble.
- Spread chocolate cream in a nice thick layer across the sponge.
- Roll the cake back into a cylinder carefully. (without towel).
- Place cake seem side down onto serving tray.
- Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to chill.
- This helps set the cream and prevents extra crumbs from falling off while frosting.
- Remove cake from fridge and spread a generous layer of chocolate frosting into cake.
- Top with nuts or sprinkles!