Swiss Roll is all about the swirl created between sponge cake and a delicious creamy filling! An elevated version of the classic European dessert with flavors of chocolate, orange and cardamom, then topped with chopped walnuts. Basically condensing a layer cake into a fun, easy to slice cylinder. Each bite includes orange spiced sponge, creamy filling, and dark chocolate frosting.
Let’s talk chocolate first! Now, I’m a huge dark chocolate lover and an even bigger chocolate frosting fan. So, of course when Wilton asked me to create a dessert using their new Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Icing, I quickly agreed and started dreaming of cake.
I chose a Swill Roll Cake to add double the naturally flavored chocolate icing, mixing it with cream cheese for the filling and then slathering on another top coat to the finished roll. I mean you can never have too much chocolate frosting right?!
Tips for Making Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll:
Make the Orange Cardamom Sponge Cake:
- Use a 10.5 in. x 15.5 in. Jelly Roll Pan.
- Spray pan with a very light coating of non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whip your eggs untiled doubled in size and fluffy with the whisk attachment on stand mixer. Then staying on high speed, slowly pour in your sugar.
- Once the egg mixture is super fluffy and filled with air, remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in your flour mixture a third at a time.
- Slowly pass the spatula through the fluffy eggs until you no longer see streaks of flour and make sure to scrape the bottom.
- Pour batter onto prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with an offset spatula.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Sponge should be soft and spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
- Take a sharp knife and go around the edges of the sponge to release it from the pan.
- Flip the pan (using oven mitts!) upside down onto a thin kitchen towel. You can also use parchment paper.
- Peel away parchment paper and discard.
- Start at the short edge and begin to roll your sponge into a cylinder using the towel to keep it shape.
- Its important to roll right away while the sponge is warm to prevent tears and cracks.
- Tuck the sponge with your fingers to make a round roll. If you roll fast and lose it will make flat seems, not round curves.
- Set the rolled sponge in the towel onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling:
- Use room temperature cream cheese to prevent curdling.
- Place cream cheese and one can of Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Icing into bowl of stand mixer.
- Mix with whisk attachment until smooth.
Assemble Swiss Roll:
- Unroll cooled sponge and let towel lay flat underneath.
- Take chocolate cream cheese frosting and gently smooth across the sponge with a small spatula.
- Roll the sponge back into a cylinder, this time not using the towel.
- Place roll see, side down onto serving dish.
- Place in the fridge to firm for 30 minutes.
- Using an additional can of frosting, and spread an even layer across the Swiss roll.
- Take walnut pieces and gently press onto outer layer of frosting.
- Sprinkle Naturally Flavored Chocolate Jimmies sprinkles around the walnut pieces.
- Option to not use walnuts and cover with sprinkles.
- You can also pipe decorative flower patterns onto chocolate with a Flower Tip.
I recommend serving your Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll immediately with a large glass of milk!
Orange Chocolate Cardamom Cake
- 3/4 Cup (96 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Orange Zest
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup (100 g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter for coating parchment paper
Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 Can Wilton Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Frosting
- 6 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 Can Wilton Naturally Flavored Rich Chocolate Frosting
- 2 Cups Chopped Walnuts
- Chocolate Jimmy Sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly spray with non-stick spray and line the bottom of an 10.5 x 15 in. Jelly Roll Pan with parchment paper.
In a small bowl hand whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and orange zest. Set aside.
Place eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and beat on high until foamy (1-2 min.). Then, gradually add the sugar and continue on high for about 7 min.
The egg mixture should double in volume and be full of air bubbles, like a cloud.
Remove bowl from stand and slowly begin to fold in the flour a third at a time, using a spatula. Stop mixing when you no longer see streaks of flour.
Take melted butter and coat the top of the parchment paper.
Scrape batter onto jelly roll pan. Take a small offset spatula and smooth into an even layer.
Bake sponge on the lower rack for about 10 minutes until golden.
It should spring back when gently pressed with finger tip.
Remove from oven and gently run a thin knife around edges of cake to loosen from the pan.
While cake is still hot, using oven mitts invert cake face down onto a clean, dry linen towel (you can also use parchment paper).
Peel away the parchment paper from the sponge cake.
Starting at the short side, roll the cake into the towel. Go slowly and try to evenly the tuck the sponge into a cylinder as you go.
Set rolled sponge cake on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes,
While cake is cooling make your chocolate cream filling.
Combine cream cheese and chocolate frosting in bowl of stand mixer and whip until smooth.
Carefully unroll the cake cake and gently pull off towel. Cake can still lay on the open towel as you assemble.
Spread chocolate cream in a nice thick layer across the sponge.
Roll the cake back into a cylinder carefully. (without towel).
Place cake seem side down onto serving tray.
Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to chill.
This helps set the cream and prevents extra crumbs from falling off while frosting.
Remove cake from fridge and spread a generous layer of chocolate frosting into cake.
Top with nuts or sprinkles!
**Please see post for product links.**