Well, its been a crazy few weeks. October is the busiest month of the year for food photography and styling, with everyone prepping for the holidays. I’ve been teaching photography workshops, styling bbq, traveling to NY and then back to create cakes for commercial productions. What a whirlwind of excitement!
Happy to be back home in my own kitchen, with little dogs underfoot as I test recipes. My front porch is decorated with pumpkins, garden prepped for fall, and all the chickens have gone through molting resulting in new fluffy feathers ready for winter. In a flash everything has adjusted for the new season.
To celebrate my obsession with pears along with apple cider I created a fall cocktail! My herb garden is still producing fresh sage, so why not add a little?!
A smooth ‘Bourbon Pear Cider’ to sip while passing out candy or serve at your fall party. Check out the recipe below, along with a few other fall cocktail ideas!
Bourbon Pear Cider
- 1 cup finely chopped, then blended bosc pears (basically a pear puree)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- Apple Cider
- Sliced Pear
- Sage Leaves
- Sprinkle of Cinnamon and Sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring pureed pears, water, honey, and sage to a boil. Reduce low heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Strain through a mesh sieve to separate any leftover pear solids.
- To make cocktail grab a highball glass (250 ml).
- Then pour 40ml of bourbon and 2 Tbsp of pear sage syrup into glass and stir together
- Next, add 1/2 cup of soda water and 1/4 cup of apple cider to the glass and stir.
- Add ice to glass, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, garnish with sliced pear and sage leaves.
**adjust amount of bourbon and apple cider to your taste.
Here are this weeks finds!!
Guide to the Best Types of Pumpkins (the Spruce)
Trader Joe’s Fall Product Reviews ( Bon Appetit)
Animal Cruelty a Federal Offense (NY Times)
Fig Dark and Stormy Cocktail ( Half Baked Harvest)
Are you a fan of Plant Based Burgers? Check out this Veggie Burger Taste Test (NY Times) – I’m a fan of the Beyond Burger!!
Two Cups Flour has 3 Recipes in the Special Edition Holiday Cookie Issue by Baked From Scratch!!
Craving pasta comfort food? Saveur Best Pasta Recipes. (Saveur)
My laugh and travel Podcast pleasure Ask Iliza Anything. (Iliza Schlesinger)
Podcast Table Manners with Jessie Ware
Orange and Maple Old Fashioned (Anisa Sabet)
Great fall dessert try my Apple Pie Cream Filled Pumpkin Doughnuts
Backyard chickens preparing for Winter (Chicken Chick)
Great recipe for Roasted Delicata Squash ( Foolproof Living)
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a Happy Halloween!!!