Buttermilk Biscuits are a breakfast southern tradition that are simple to make and go with gravy, jam, honey, and just about any meat and egg combo. My personal topping of choice is honey, but I won’t turn my nose up at a ham and egg biscuit that’s for sure! I found the key to having flaky delicious biscuits is homemade dough. Follow these simple steps and you will be eating warm flaky goodness in no time.
Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe Tips:
- Use Cold Butter
- Mix butter and flour with a pastry cutter until the butter is in tiny chunks.
- Gently form dough with your hands, don’t over work.
- Fold the dough to laminate and create layers!
- shape dough with your hands, DO NOT use a rolling pin
- Use a large 3-4 inch biscuit cutter
- Don’t twist your cutter when lifting from the dough, it will pinch the sides and prevent rise.
Now grab a jar of honey, your favorite jam, or whip up some gravy for these yummy biscuits!
How to Store your Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
- Can also store in an air tight container.
- Homemade Biscuits will stay fresh 1-2 days at room temperature.
- Wrap individually in freezer wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 Cups (256 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup 8Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ¾ Cup (8 oz) Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 F (232 C) and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add butter and mix with pastry grinder or by hand. Mixture should begin to thicken as butter is incorporated.
- When the butter is reduced to the size of oats, pour in your buttermilk.
- Stir with wooden spoon or mix in with hands.
- You may see tiny hunks of butter and that’s fine!
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into a rectangle about 6×9 inches.
- Take the left side and fold into the middle, repeating with the right side, like a trifold brochure.
- Reshape into rectangle and cut out biscuits. Use a 3-4 inch biscuit cutter, pressing and lifting straight up.
- This should yield 6-8 large biscuits.
- Place biscuits on prepared sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve warm right out of the oven with your favorite toppings!