We’ve all heard of the classic chicken and waffles recipe, but what about with a Thai twist? Homemade waffles, grilled chicken, fresh toppings, and a spicy thai sauce will definitely make your breakfast anything but boring. Time to try out savory waffles for a change and add a little protein instead of sugar.
The Thai sauce is the star of the show with its addition of Sunbutter Creamy Sunflower Butter. It’s smooth texture and roasted sunflower seed flavor makes it the perfect base for sriracha and lime juice. It has 7 grams of protein and more vitamins and minerals than nut butter. SunButter is Nut allergy free and Non-GMO verified, which means I will be pouring on the extra sauce!!
This recipe for grilled chicken waffles is perfect for brunch or even for dinner. I mean its a savory breakfast and I love eating breakfast for dinner. Use the batter to make small waffles or one big belgian waffle, top with grilled chicken, a little cheese, carrots, cabbages, and green onions. You can even make a waffle sandwich for lunch, by folding your waffle like a pita. I’m definitely seeing more possibilities of eating throughout the day!
Tips for Thai Chicken and Waffles
- Make waffles and set aside while you grill chicken.
- Use All Purpose Flour for the best waffle texture.
- Sift your flour for a smoother mixed batter.
- Stir the Natural Sunflower Butter to mix up the oil separation before measuring.
- Mix warm melted coconut oil, milk, and Sunbutter in a separate bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly pour liquid mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a whisk.
- Waffle Batter should be pourable but neither runny or thick like molasses.
- Use a non-stick waffle iron.
- I have done with non-stick spray and without. The spray caused my waffle to under bake slightly without that nice crispy outer texture. So it depends on the waffle iron on whether to spray or not to spray.
Chicken and Toppings
- Use either chicken breast strips of whole chicken breasts.
- Fresh purple cabbage, carrots, and green onions will have the best flavor and texture.
- Top with fresh parsley for an extra flavor kick!
- Warm your Creamy SunButter slightly before mixing sauce.
- Whisk together honey, sriracha sauce, SunButter and lime juice until smooth.
- I suggest making a double batch if you like a lot of sauce 🙂
Thai Chicken and Waffles Recipe
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1-1/2 Tbsps Sriracha Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Creamy SunButter® Organic
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil melted and slightly cooled
- 1 1/4 Cups Milk room temp or slightly warm
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1-1/2 cups Cooked Chicken Breast
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Cup Shredded Purple Cabbage
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Green Onion
- Fresh Cilantro leaves
- Sunflower Seeds
Warm SunButter in a microwave safe bowl.
Add honey, sriracha sauce, and lime juice then whisk until smooth. Set aside.
Preheat waffle iron and lightly spray with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl hand whisk together all ingredients until smooth.
Pour batter onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Set aside onto parchment paper lined baking tray.
Place waffle in heated oven for 3 minutes, flip and bake another 3 minutes longer until crispy.
Remove baking sheet from oven and sprinkle waffles with cheese on top of each waffle, add grilled chicken and return to oven for an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is warmed.
Remove waffles from oven and place on serving plates.
Top with shredded carrots, cabbage and green onion. Drizzle with SunButter Thai sauce and garnish with cilantro and sunflower seeds.
*Recipe sponsored by SunButter, recipe and opinions are all my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Two Cups Flour.