Recipe for Rosemary and Cheddar Buttermilk Waffles, a savory breakfast dish topped with a spicy Remoulade sauce. Servings consist of either 8 small square waffles or 2 large Belgium waffles.
This recipe was inspired by a rosemary biscuit sandwich I keep ordering at the local coffee shop. I decided to add cheddar to my rosemary buttermilk biscuit batter, (say that 5 times fast-“buttermilk biscuit batter”) with a thinner consistency and test the outcome in my waffle maker. Man that was a long sentence, ok moving on. The result I must say was 8 evenly baked, yummy savory waffles in just 16 min.
Why Savory Waffles are Awesome!
- Turn your favorite biscuit and pizza flavors into a breakfast dish.
- Make a waffle sandwich with all your favorite brunch items. (bacon, eggs, sausage, ham, avocado)
- Each waffle comes out same size and consistency.
- Savory waffles pair with gravy and spicy sauces.
- Sometime you just need a break from the sweets!
What to serve with Savory Waffles?
So glad you asked..well, I made a spicy Remoulade sauce to spread on your waffles. Also, an over easy egg is great for dipping. I mean while we’re at it, you could make a waffle sandwich with bacon, egg, and avocado. Yes, that sounds good too!
What is Remoulade Sauce?
Remoulade is a cajun inspired mayonnaise based sauce that is used for fish, bread, and veggie dips. The spice level totally depends on your personal preference.
Rosemary Cheddar Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk more if needed
- ½ cup melted and cooled unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon organic raw sugar
- 1 ¼ cups vegan mayonnaise.
- ¼ cup mustard spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika.
- 2 tsps cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsps dill pickle juice
- 2 tsps hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients into a medium sized bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
- The batter will be thicker than regular waffle/pancake batter but if looks very dry, just add some more buttermilk. Do not add so much buttermilk that its runny. (should look like biscuit dough)
- Spray waffle iron with non stick coconut oil spray.
- Spoon batter into each waffle section ( or ¾ of entire circle for large single round waffle).
- Batter will be thick so press down to cover enough surface area for waffle.
- Close lid and let bake for 7-8 min. max.
- Remove waffles and serve warm.
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Whisk thoroughly to create a pinkish mayo like consistency.