Hey there flaky buttermilk biscuit lovers, you need to try these homemade tomato biscuits asap!! A savory breakfast biscuit packed with chopped tomatoes, fresh rosemary, and cheddar cheese. Melt some butter, grab the jam, fry up some bacon, and skillet an egg for a delicious breakfast sandwich
To bring you this tasty biscuit recipe I partnered with Pomi a trusted supplier of Italian tomato products. Completely natural 100% Italian tomatoes from a company invested in social responsibility and environmental sustainability. That’s right, Pomi ensures that each consumer can trace the product from the store shelf to the field where the tomatoes were grown
Not only is this a company I’m proud to promote on an ethical level, I also love their tomatoes!! These Chopped Tomatoes have a nice soft flavor and are a perfect compliment to baked goods.
Tips for Tomato Biscuits
- Make sure your unsalted butter and buttermilk are cold.
- You can also measure out your flour then chill it in the fridge for 20 minutes to keep you flour cold. Your hands put off a ton of heat and cold flour can help keep the butter from melting while you shape your biscuits. (optional)
- I do drain the chopped tomatoes with a sieve, to remove excess juice and prevent a soggy biscuit dough.
- When shaping your biscuit dough, patting will give you more fluff and flattening with a rolling pin will make them less fluffy.
- I prefer to cut these biscuits in a square, its easier and doesn’t waste any dough. But if you prefer round biscuits, by all means grab your favorite biscuit cutter and go for it.
- Baked biscuits can be stored in an air tight container for 2-3 days at room temperature. Simply microwave for about 15-20 seconds for a nice warm soft biscuit.
- 2 1/4 Cups (281 grams) All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 8 Tbsp (113 grams) Unsalted Butter cold, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Cup (100 grams) Pomi Chopped Tomatoes strained slightly through sieve to remove excess juice
- 1/2 Cup (50 grams) Shredded Cheddar Cheese cold
- 2/3 Cup (160 grams) Buttermilk cold
- Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl hand whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, garlic and rosemary.
- Add butter pieces and using a pastry cutter, mix butter into flour until resembles a cornmeal texture with small pea size bits of cold butter.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and buttermilk.
- Gently pack biscuit dough together and transfer onto a floured surface.
- Gently, gently pat the dough out until it's about 1/2 inch thick.
- Fold the dough about 3 times, gently press the dough down to a 1 inch thick.
- Cut the rectangle in half with a sharp knife and then each half into thirds for 9 square biscuits.
- Place biscuit squares onto parchment paper lines baking tray spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake biscuits for 14-15 minutes until fluffy and golden brown on edges.
- Brush biscuits with melted butter and serve warm.