Cheddar Cheese Scones packed full of herbs for breakfast, mid day snack, or paired with dinner. Scones are basically the slightly dense yet soft cousin of the flaky biscuit. Super easy to mix and ready to eat in under 30 minutes.
If you enjoy warm buttered bread with your morning tea or coffee, its time to swap out for a scone. I’m a big fan of cheddar and chive scones, but they needed a little something extra. Fresh herbs enhance any homemade bread recipe, so I added rosemary, thyme, and basil to the dough. The result is an irresistible savory breakfast scone.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the best part! Most scones can be a bit dense from using a high protein flour. To create a softer texture I swapped half the flour content for cake flour. No more chewy scones!! So get in the kitchen and get to baking 🙂
Tips for Mixed Herb Cheese Scones
- Weigh and sift flours.
- If you don’t have access to fresh herbs, substitute with dry herbs at half the amount. Dry herbs are much stronger than fresh, so you don’t need as much.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work cold butter into flour.
- Stir egg and cream together with a fork.
- Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Gently mold into a dough ball with hands.
- Chill dough for about 10 minutes in the fridge before shaping and cutting.
- Choose round or triangle scones. For round roll dough into a 1/2 inch thickness and cut eight rounds with a 3 inch biscuit cutter. Or, shape dough into a circle and slice like a pizza into eight slices.
- Space scones two inches apart on lined baking tray. They will grow in the oven!
- Brush a thin coating of heavy cream on each scone before baking.
- Sprinkle with extra chives or more cheddar cheese before baking!
- Scones are done when they turn golden brown.
- Enjoy warm for breakfast, a snack with beer, or paired with your favorite pasta!
Mixed Herb Cheese Scones
- 1 Cup (128 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup (128 g) Cake Flour
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Chives chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Basil chopped
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme chopped
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter cold cut into small cubes
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 Cup plus 3 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1 Egg
Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C) and prepare large baking tray with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, hand whisk together flours, salt, sugar, baking powder, and herbs.
Add butter cubes and cut into flour with pastry cutter or work in by hand.
Stir together heavy cream and egg with a fork in a cup.
Add cheddar cheese and heavy cream mixture to flour mixture.
Stir slowly with a wooden spoon until almost mixed.
Use hands to shape into ball.
Gently knead a couple times to make a workable dough. (but don't over do it!)
Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into 1/2 inch thickness.
Use 3 inch biscuit cutter to cut eight scones. (you may only be able to cut 6 at first, just take excess and reform, roll, then cut the last two.)
Place scones on parchment paper lined baking tray about 2 inches apart.
Brush top of scones with heavy cream and sprinkle with extra cheese.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.