This Mini Mushroom Pie Recipe makes twelve savory hand pies. The perfect crunchy crusted filled handheld pie for breakfast or brunch! Thyme, gouda, and mushrooms baked in a buttery flaky pie crust is how every day should start.
Savory Hand Pies
Whats a hand pie? Well, its basically a mini version of your favorite pastry made into a small grab and go size. Remember eating Hot Pockets?!
Anything made with homemade pie crust and filled with mushrooms is going to be on my radar. They’re simple to make and a great vessel for your garden goodies!
Mushroom Pie Filling
For these little savory pastry goodies I chose a combo of baby bella mushrooms, baby spinach, yellow onion, thyme, and shredded gouda cheese!
All you need to do is slightly cook down the mushrooms and onions. Then stir in the spinach while its still warm. Let the filling cool. Scoop a couple Tablespoons onto your pastry circles then sprinkle with cheese before closing.
How do You Crimp a Hand Pie?!
There are several steps to close the edges of the pie around the filling.
- Make sure all pastry rounds are the same size and thickness.
- Cool and drain any excess juices.
- Spoon filling slightly to the side if center, covering most of one half of the circle. Leave about a1/4 inch of bare crust around your filling.
- Brush the edges with egg wash.
- Fold crust over the filling and use your fingers to press the edges together.
- Or you can a fork to crimp the edges together to seal the pie.
- Place hand pies on a prepared sheet pan and freeze for 10 minutes before baking. This will firm the pastry and help it hold its shape while baking.
- Don’t worry if some of the filling oozes out. It will be just as tasty!
How to Store Mushroom Pies
These pies are best eaten within a day of baking for best flavor and freshness. However, they can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also wrap them with plastic wrap and place in a freezer storage bag for up to 2 months. Thaw frozen pies to room temperature and then microwave to warm before serving.
More Savory Pie Recipes for You to Try!
Mini Mushroom Pie
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 1/2 Cups Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced or chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Thyme chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups Fresh Baby Spinach chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Gouda or Gruyere Cheese graded
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 teaspoon Water
- Make your Homemade Pie Crust and set in fridge to chill for 1 hr.
- **during this time make your filling and set aside**
- Roll dough onto floured surface to 1/8" thickness. Cut into 5 inch circles (use a bowl or mini tart tray for shape).
- Spoon filling onto one half of each circle and sprinkle with cheese. Leave 1/4 inch space of crust around the edge of the circle. Paint a little egg wash on edge of dough to help when closing. Fold over the other half and press ends together with fingers.
- Lay each pocket onto a lined baking sheet. Slit two small lines in center with knife. Using a small pastry brush, apply egg wash onto top and sides of pie. Sprinkle pies with chia seeds.
- Bake at 425 F (218 C) on parchment paper lined baking tray for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!!
- Add mushrooms, onions, salt, pepper, and thyme in a skillet with 1 Tablepoon of butter. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Stir in spinach while warm and remove from heat. Let cool and drain any excess juices.
- Stir yolk and water together with a fork in a small bowl.