My favorite thing to make with fresh summer tomatoes is a Tomato Galette with herb infused goat cheese. We all love fruit galettes, but if you haven’t enjoyed a savory tomato galette you’re definitely missing out! This recipe uses a flaky buttery pie crust with a dill goat cheese filling, topped with tomato slices, and green onions.
A simple summer dish that makes eight individual tomato galettes is perfect for brunch or an afternoon cookout. You could even serve them for breakfast and top each hand pie with an over easy egg. Now we’re talking!!
Do you grow your own tomatoes?? If so, what kind and how do you like to bake with them??
Heirloom Tomato Galette
I find that Heirloom tomatoes have a less acidic and almost wine like taste to them than regular red tomatoes. They are a perfect flavor pairing with goat cheese and my ‘go to’ summer baking tomato!
Tips for Tomato Galette
- Make your crust a head of time and place in the fridge to chill. You can even make it the day before.
- You can make 8 small galettes or roll the crust out and make one large one!
- Mix plain goat cheese with 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill in a small bowl. Or you can purchase goat cheese with herbs already mixed in.
- Use your fingers or a small rubber spatula to spread the goat cheese onto each pie crust to prevent tearing.
- Stack the tomatoes in a triangular fashion.
- If you don’t have access to Heirloom Tomatoes, regular red tomatoes will work just fine.
- Fold the crust over the tomatoes and dab a little water with your fingers between the creases to help the dough stick to itself.
- Gently brush the crust with a nice coating of egg wash. Sprinkle with seeds and salt.
- Place tray of tomato pies into the fridge for crust to firm before baking. A cold butter crust will hold its shape better while baking.
How to Store Tomato Galettes
Tomato pies are best eaten the same day. But can be wrapped in plastic wrap or placed in air tight container and kept in the fridge for 2-3 days. Simply reheat in microwave for 30 seconds before serving.
- 2 Cups (254 grams) All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 16 Tbsp Unsalted Butter cold cut into small pieces
- 1 Large Egg lightly beaten with fork
- 4-5 Tbsp Ice Water plus more if needed
- 4 Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 8 oz Dill Goat Cheese
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup (62.5 g) Green Onions chopped, more to sprinkle on top
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Coarse Sea Salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add cubes of cold butter and work into flour with pastry cutter. May also need to use fingers to create a cornmeal texture with small pieces of butter remaining.
- Add lightly beaten egg and stir into flour mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Next add one Tbsp of ice cold water at a time, while shaping dough with your hands. Use just enough water to form a dough. (it should be tacky, but not overly sticky nor wet)
- Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and place in fridge for 1 hour to firm.
- **during this time make your filling and toppings, then set aside**
- Remove dough from fridge, weigh and cut into 8 even parts using a sharp knife or bench scraper. Form each section into a ball (do not knead dough).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one ball into a 6-7 in circle.
- Spoon 1 Tbsp filling into center of circle. Gently spread filling into am even layer, leaving a one inch border of crust.
- Lay three tomato slices in a triangle shape over filling.
- Fold over the dough into the center, adding pleats with each turn.
- Brush outer crust with a nice coating of egg wash.
- Sprinkle seeds and salt topping onto coated crust.
- Bake for 20 min, or until golden brown at 400 F.
- Let cool for 10 min. before serving. Sprinkle additional green onions on top!
- Slice tomatoes and place on paper towels to dry. Sprinkle with fine sea salt.
- Combine goat cheese, egg yolks, and onions in small bowl. Stir with a fork.
- One egg lightly beaten with a fork.
- Prepare egg wash by whisking one egg with a fork in a small bowl. (use pastry or small paint brush when applying)
- Combine seeds, garlic, and sea salt in a separate bowl. Stir with a spoon.