My favorite Skillet Cornbread Recipe is a soft slightly sweet southern style cornbread. A take on the old southern classic includes honey to give it just the right amount of sweetness without tasting like a cake. It still has a crumble, but retains moisture with lighter texture than old school more dense cornbread recipes.
True southerners know that buttermilk and a cast iron skillet are essential for delicious cornbread. Sorry I just can’t substitute on these!
Tips for this Skillet Cornbread Recipe
- Use a 9 or 10 inch seasoned cast iron skillet.
- Swirl the melted butter across the bottom of the hot skillet for an even coating before adding your batter.
What Can I Use if I Don’t Have Buttermilk?
Here are a few common methods for substituting buttermilk. Choose the one that best works with the ingredients you have on hand:
- 1 Cup Buttermilk = 1 Tablespoon white vinegar + enough milk to measure 1 cup
- 1 Cup Buttermilk = 1 Tablespoon lemon juice + enough milk to measure 1 cup
- 1 Cup Buttermilk = 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk = 1 and ¾ teaspoon cream of tarter + 1 cup of milk
How to Store Cornbread
Remove cornbread form skillet and either keep whole or cut into slices. Wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for 1-2 days. Or, wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to a week of freshness.
How to Reheat Cornbread
To reheat or bring your cornbread back to life, you can easily microwave a single slice for 30 seconds. Or, preheat oven to 350 F (176 C) place cornbread on a baking sheet, loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 10 minutes.
Skillet Cornbread Recipe
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter cut into slices
- 1 ¼ cups (156 grams) All Purpose Flour
- 1 ¼ cups (188 grams) Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ¾ cups (420 grams) Buttermilk
- 1 ½ Tbsp Honey
- 1 Large Egg
- Sift and combine all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Place butter slices into a 9 inch cast iron skillet and set in oven until melted.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl hand whisk together buttermilk, honey and egg, then add to dry mixture. Whisk until combined.
- Remove skillet from oven, swirl butter to coat bottom.
- Pour cornbread batter into buttered skillet.
- Bake on middle rack for 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cornbread get a slight golden crust around edges and on top.
- Cool for 10 min. Slice and serve!