Fluffy buttermilk breakfast biscuits are a southern Sunday tradition! They do not come from a can, a package, or a store. These delicious melt in your mouth morning ‘must haves’ are made with love, hands, and a spoon. Oh yeah, lets not forget the buttermilk! You can can not have a quality southern biscuit without buttermilk. There, I said it!
Another important note to consider for breakfast biscuits is they’re accompaniments. I suggest country ham, eggs, and jelly. Don’t forget the coffee and juice! I know this sounds like tons of people are having breakfast with you. But, honestly you can just enjoy them in bed with a good book.
Any true southern girl takes pride in her breakfast biscuit reputation. That’s why I’m sharing with you, the easiest fool proof way to make a delicious rosemary cheddar biscuit. Even if you’ve never baked in your life, you can be a breakfast queen with this recipe. Now, throw your biscuit cutter back in the drawer and get your hands dirty!
Tips for Sunday Breakfast Biscuits:
- Pour yourself a cup of coffee to begin.
- Practice your ‘my pleasure’, ‘yes ma’am’, and ‘breakfast is ready y’all’. Because, after you make these biscuits you will feel like a true southern home baker.
- Sift your flour to prevent lumpy dough.
- Use fresh buttermilk. (sorry not substitutions here)
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese is the way to go.
- Any herb will do, but I personally believe rosemary is the best for breakfast biscuits.
- Just plop a big spoonful on the tray, no cutter equals more fluffy!
- Make a double batch if you’re have friends coming over.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container.
- Microwave one for 15 seconds the next day for biscuit breakfast all over again!
Check out another delicious biscuit with this Flaky Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe!
Southern Sunday Breakfast Biscuits
- 2 Cups 256 g All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup 8Tbsp unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 Cup 12 oz Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tsp Dried Rosemary
Preheat oven to 450 F (232 C) and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Add butter and mix together by hand. Work the butter into the flour by squeezing it with your fingers. Mixture should begin to thicken as butter is incorporated. It should begin to look and feel like cornmeal with tiny chunks of butter.
Stir in your cheddar cheese.
Then, pour in your buttermilk.
Stir with wooden spoon until a dough is formed. Should be slightly moist and sticky, but still hold its shape.
Using a large soup spoon, scoop a spoonful of dough and place it on the baking tray.
No need to flatten, you can simply shape a little with your fingers to make it round. But, remember its not supposed to look perfect.
The dough should be divided evenly into six scoops. This should yield 6 large biscuits.
Bake until edges are golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
Serve warm right out of the oven!