Blackberry Wine Cake is my family’s way to say Merry Christmas!! A traditional recipe gifted to family and friends every season. Made with blackberry Manischewitz wine, cake flour, and apple sauce. This wine cake is a colorful dessert for any holiday party!
I’ve been counting down the months until it was officially acceptable to say you’re eating cookies with a side of cake everyday. This cake is always top of my list, getting me in the mood for the holidays. Let’s face it, tis the season to bake and be merry.
All you need for this recipe is a mixer, the ingredients, a round bundt pan and about an hour. Simple as that. There isn’t any major prep or complex ingredients. Just a simple mix, pour in the pan and bake kinda dessert.
Tips for Making Blackberry Wine Cake:
- Cake Flour helps create a light fluffy texture but it can also be substituted cup for cup with All Purpose Flour.
- Blackberry Jello powder is what helps enhance the wine color of the cake. If you can’y find blackberry, try using black cherry for the same color.
- Blackberry Manischewitz Wine is used to give the flavor to the cake. The alcohol bakes out.
- The applesauce can be replace with a neutral oil like vegetable oil.
- If you choose to use a decorative bundt pan, prepare with non-stick spray prior to adding batter.
- Cake is done when a toothpick inserted halfway comes out with small crumbs. The bottom of the cake will also brown and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool completely before adding fresh blackberries.
- Make a glaze by adding 1 tsp of Manischewitz to 1 Cup of powdered sugar, stirring until liquid. Add more sugar to thicken or another tsp of wine to thin. Pour glaze of cake slices for an extra boozy kick.
- Non glazed slices can be individually wrapped and frozen for up to two months.
Blackberry Wine Cake
Blackberry Wine Cake made with Manischewitz Wine, cake flour, and applesauce. Top this Holiday Cake with fresh blackberries and powdered sugar.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 12 slices
- 2 ½ Cups (312.5 grams) Cake Flour
- 1 box Royal Blackberry Jello Powder (3 0z| 85 g)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ cup (300 g) Granulated Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter softened at room temperature
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Manechevitz Blackberry Wine
- 3 Eggs
- ¾ Cup (188 g) Unsweetened Apple Sauce (or vegetable oil)
- Fresh Blackberries
- Powdered Sugar for Dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C) and prepare deep round bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, hand whisk all dry ingredients together.
- In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, applesauce (or vegetable oi), and wine. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Slowly spoon flour mixture into wet mixture and continue on medium high until batter is formed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl once during mixing.
- Pour cake batter into pan and bake fro 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and cool on rack for 15 minutes.
- Flip cake pan upside down onto serving dish, allowing cake to drop from pan. Top with blackberries and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Glaze if desired and serve with fresh blackberries! (see tips above.)