To celebrate Mardi Gras I partnered with Blue Chair Bay Rum. Thanks for supporting the companies that help make Two Cups Flour possible!
It’s Fat Tuesday, aka Mardi Gras and I’m celebrating with a Key Lime Cake and Lime Cream Spritz Cocktail. A fluffy citrus dessert made with lime rum cream, lime zest, and a boozy icing drizzle will satisfy your pre-party sweet tooth needs.
Now, most people think pie when you hear key lime, but that tangy goodness is also fabulous in cake form. Especially when you add Blue Chair Key Lime Rum Cream! A smooth creamy rum with notes of lime and buttery graham cracker crust.
I love using rum cream so much, I mixed it in the cake batter, icing, and cocktail to wash it all down. The best part is there are only 93 calories per 1.5 oz of key lime rum cream! So let’s grab our green and purple, eat some cake, enjoy a cocktail, then Mardi Gras!!
Tips for Key Lime Cake
- Use cake flour for a light fluffy texture.
- Depending on the size of bundt pan you choose, there could be a slight bit of leftover cake batter. Use this to make a couple extra cupcakes for later 🙂
- For this recipe I used the Nordic Ware Kugelhopf Bundt Pan
- Mixing the batter properly is the most important part to creating the right texture.
- Use room temperature eggs, milk, butter, and coconut oil.
- Spoon the cake batter into the bundt pan and then level with a rubber spatula. Banging the pan on the counter won’t do it.
- Don’t open the oven door while baking. However after the 60 minute mark if you feel the color is getting too brown, cover loosely with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Let cake cool completely before inverting onto serving dish. This is a tender crumb and if you handle it while its warm it will break.
- Store unfrosted cake by slicing and wrapping each piece in plastic wrap. Freeze or store in fridge.
Key Lime Cake
- 3 Cups (375 grams) Cake Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup (16 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter softened
- 2 Cups (400 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup (240 grams) Coconut Oil melted, then cooled to room temperature
- 5 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup (240 grams) Whole Milk
- ⅓ Cup (80 grams) Blue Chair Key Lime Rum Cream
- 2 Tbsp Key Lime Zest
Key Lime Icing
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Blue Chair Key Lime Rum Cream
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Milk as needed
- Prepare a bundt cake pan with baking spray and preheat oven to 325 F (170 C).
- In a large bowl, hand whisk together sifted cake flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium high speed until combined into a light and fluffy consistency.
- Add coconut oil and mix on medium until incorporated. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula once to make sure all ingredients are mixed in.
- Continue on medium speed, adding one egg at a time. Make sure each egg is blended before adding the next.
- Next, slowly pour milk and spoon in flour mixture alternating between the two while mixing on medium low speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of mixing bowl once.
- On medium low speed pour in Key Lime Rum Cream and add lime zest. Mix until just incorporated.
- Batter should be light and fluffy.
- Spoon into prepared bundt pan leaving about 1 ¼ inches below the rim for cake to rise. (If you have extra batter, make a few cupcakes!)
- Place bundt pan on a cookie sheet and bake on middle rack for 75-80 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out with just crumbs.
- Place cake pan on cooling rack to completely cool before inverting onto serving dish.
- While cake is cooling make key lime icing.
Key Lime Rum Frosting
- Make your frosting by starting with two cups of powdered sugar, then add the lime juice and rum cream.
- Stir together in a bowl, slowly adding a little milk as needed to create the consistency you like best. If you want it thicker add more powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cake before serving.
Key Lime Cream Spritz Cocktail
- 2 oz Blue Chair Bay Key Lime Rum Cream
- 1 oz Vanilla Rum
- 2 oz Lime Soda
- .5 oz Lime Juice
- Mix all ingredients in blender with ¼ cup of ice. (use a double recipe)
- Blend and serve immediately!!