Lemon Poppyseed French Madeleines are the perfect treat for early spring. Light sponge cake texture with a wonderful lemon zest flavor. The addition of poppy seeds adds just enough crunch to make your mouth say ‘wow’. You may not be in the south of France, but you can definitely have some delicious french cookies in under an hour.
Grab a chair or a blanket, find a cozy spot outside in the sun, pour some lemonade and enjoy yourself!
Tips for Lemon Madeleines:
- Use a quality non-stick Madeleine Pan .
- Fresh lemon zest and lemon juice will give your madeleines a fabulous natural citrus flavor.
- Whip your eggs, egg white, zest, juice, and sugar until they are super fluffy and aerated. This can take around 8-1o minutes, think about whipping meringue!
- Slowly fold the flour mixture into the eggs with a spatula. I sprinkle flour across the top just enough to cover, then gently go twice through the center and once around the edges.
- Use this same method to gently fold aka mix in the melted butter.
- Do Not stir your flour and butter into the eggs or you will lose the great texture of the batter.
- Prepare your Madeleine pan with a coating of melted in butter into each shell well. If you use non-stick spray it creates a dark bake onto the top of the cookie.
- Brush a light to medium coat of melted butter onto each section, but not enough to see a pool of butter.
- Allow the baked Madeleines to cool in the pan for about five minutes before gently pushing them out with your fingertips.
- Serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
- Best eaten then first day and if kept in air tight container for a second day. But, they dry out quickly, so better just pig out!
Lemon Poppyseed French Madeleines
Recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Madeleines with Lemon Cream Cheese Icing. Light sponge cake texture with a wonderful lemon zest flavor. Perfect bite size cake servings and easy to freeze.
- 1 cup (125 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup ( 100 g) Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter melted and cooled
Melted Butter For Pan
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter melted and cooled
Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, combine sugar, eggs, egg white, zest, and lemon juice.
Whisk on medium high speed for 8-10 minutes until a light airy foam like consistency is formed. Almost like a soft meringue.
Remove bowl from mixer and slowly begin folding in flour mixture a quarter at a time, with the poppy seeds.
Then, slowly pour in the cooled melted butter and gently fold into the mixture.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set in the fridge for 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C).
Brush melted butter across each shell shape to prevent sticking.
Fill each madeleine well with a heaping Tbsp of batter. Don’t flatten the batter, it will melt and fill the shell shape as it bakes.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until a light golden brown crust has formed around the edges.
Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then remove and eat!
Can add more powdered sugar or coconut milk for desired consistency.