Apple Pie Ice Cream mixed with homemade caramel sauce is my version of caramel apple and an apple pie all mixed up into one delicious frozen dessert!! Are you a die hard ice cream lover who enjoys it no matter what the season? Well, my friend this recipe is for you!
Late September and October is the prime time for fall festivals, county fairs, and apple desserts. I always think of walking through the state fair munching on a caramel apple. But, I hate getting caramel all over face. You know what I mean, every bite of the apple concludes with a sticky chin.
Also famous this time of year is the quintessential apple pie packed full of spiced apples. That hot apple pie filling wrapped in buttery crust topped with vanilla ice cream. Yep, you know the one!
So, my thought was to combine these delicious autumn apple desserts…
The result is a creamy ice cream, with baked apples spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, enhanced with a swirl of salted caramel. I’m sure I will get it all over my chin, but I decided to go with a bowl and spoon this time.
Tips for Apple Pie Ice Cream
- Make your Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce the day before and store in the fridge to set.
- You can use half the caramel sauce in your ice cream and save the rest for a topping!
- Use fresh Granny Smith Apples!
- Don’t over churn your ice cream base in the mixer. It’s usually takes 25-40 minutes depending on the brand. Over churned ice cream will result in a buttery texture.
- Gently fold your apple pie filling into the churned ice cream.
- Layer your container with ice cream, then drizzles of salted caramel sauce.
- I use a 9×3 inch loaf pan, level the ice cream with a rubber spatula, then cover twice with plastic wrap before placing in the freezer.
- Let your ice cream sit over night for a good freeze!
Caramel Apple Pie Ice Cream
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 Batch
Salted Caramel Saucemake before hand
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 Large Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored, chopped into small chunks
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup (55 grams) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
Ice Cream Base
- 2 Cups (500 ml) Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Whole Milk
- ⅛ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar divided
- 5 Egg Yolks
- ½ tsp Almond Extract
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
Salted Caramel Sauce
- Follow directions in Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe.
Apple Pie Ice Cream
- Melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat, then add brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in apple chunks and continue to cook until soft.
- Remove from heat and let apple pie filling cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make ice cream base.
- In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, stir together cream, milk, ½ cup of sugar, and salt. Heat until warm, barely a bubble, and not boiling.
- In a large bowl, hand whisk together egg yolks and remaining ½ cup of sugar. Whisk until light in color, about two minutes.
- Slowly pour half of the hot mixture into the egg mixture, continually whisking.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture (tempered eggs) back into saucepan with remaining cream mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon for 2-4 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and almond extract.
- Pour mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours, until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour chilled ice cream base into the ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. It should thicken and resemble soft serve ice cream. (about 25-30 minutes)
- Once thickened fold in the apple pie filling chunks. Transfer to an airtight freezer safe container, by alternating with a layer of apple pie ice cream and drizzles of caramel sauce. You will not use all the caramel sauce, so save some for drizzling on ice cream when served.
- Freeze for 5-6 hrs or overnight.