Are you craving sweet, full of flavor, easy to make Cherry Scones for breakfast? Well, I hope you are now! Scones are the dessert style cousin of the breakfast biscuit. These sweet scones are flavored with lemon zest, orange zest, vanilla and almond extract with delicious ripe red cherries.
This recipe reminds me of the end of summer. The days are still long but slowly getting shorter. I’m spending as much time as I can having breakfast outside. Cherries are showing up at the farmer’s markets and baking with citrus zest compliments the sweet tones. I suggest making a batch of scones, find a spot to sit in the grass, and just lay around looking at the clouds and snacking on the last warm days of the year.
How Do You Make Scones?
Scones are a simple mix and bake recipe. Simply work you ingredients together to form a large loose dough. Hand knead in your chopped cherries and shape into disc. Roll out into a rectangle and slice into squares. Place scones on a baking sheet and bake! Tada, no proving time needed.
Tips for Cherry Scones
- Use ripe Bing cherries for the best flavored cherry scones.
- Make sure cream, egg and yolk, and butter are cold.
- Knead dough lightly 1-2 times to shape and pack in cherries. Don’t over work the dough or it will be tough and the cherries will bleed too much and make everything soggy.
- Flour your hands and rolling pin to prevent sticking.
- Roll dough into a 10 x 5 inch rectangle. Cut into 8 squares with a sharp knife.
- Place scones on a parchment paper lined baking tray and space 1.5-2 inches apart.
- Coat scones with cream and sprinkle well with sparkling sugar.
- Bake on middle rack.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for 1-2 days.
- Enjoy with coffee or milk.
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tsp Orange Zest
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup (125 ml) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1 1/2 Cups Bing Cherries pitted, cut into quarters
- 3 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
- Sparkling Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, orange zest, and salt.
- Cut in cold butter cubes with pastry grinder and/or fingers until resembles cornmeal.
- Place flour mixture in freezer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg, egg yolk, cream, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Remove flour mixture from freezer and pour in egg and cream mixture. Stir together with a wooden spoon until just mixed, then loosely form into a ball with hands.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead in chopped cherries.
- Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll dough into a 10×5 inch rectangle. Use hands to help shape the edges.
- Take a sharp knife and divide into eight equal scones.
- Place scones on baking sheet 1.5-2 inches apart.
- Use the 3 Tbsp of remaining Heavy Cream, more if needed and paint a thin coating on the scones.
- Generously sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden on the edges.
- Let pan cool on baking rack for 10 minutes before removing scones and eating!!