Recipe for Chai Spice?
Mix the following ingredients into a bowl and stir with a fork!
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Tips for Making Double Chocolate Chai Cookies:
- Mix your chai spice before starting. You will probably have some left over, just transfer to an air tight container and store with your spices for later use.
- Begin your cookie dough by simply hand whisking wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
- Mix ingredients together in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment.
- The cookie dough will resemble cake batter at first and needs time to chill and firm.
- Freeze your dough for 30 minutes or chill in the fridge for a couple hours before rolling into balls.
- Use baking quality dark chocolate chunks.
- Scoop cookie dough with a small ice cream scoop or measure 1.5 tablespoons with a spoon.
- Roll dough into a ball with your hands, then push three chocolate chunks into the center.
- Reshape dough ball, roll in sugar chai to coat and then set on baking tray.
- Place dough balls 1.5 inches apart and then bake.
- The cookies will spread into larger fatter ‘cookie bomb’ balls. They will not be large flat cookies.
- Once baked, let cool for a couple of minutes then eat warm!
Double Chocolate Chai Cookies
Double Chocolate Chai Cookies are gluten free cookies. Almond flour base with a chocolatey center and a light chai sugar coating.
- 1 cup (115 g) Almond Flour
- 1 cup (100 g) Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup ( 125 ml) Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 1 cup ( 200 g) Raw Sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Finely Ground Black Pepper
Hand whisk together all dry ingredients and transfer to bowl stand mixer.
In a separate bowl thoroughly stir together all wet ingredients.(let melted coconut oil cool to room temperature first)
Add wet ingredients into mixer bowl.
Use paddle attachment at medium speed until well blended. (may need to take spatula and push mixture down from sides and a couple strokes across the bottom) Dough will resemble a chocolate cake batter.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about 30 min or until dough has firmed. (just enough to resemble regular cookie dough texture, don't freeze solid)
Preheat oven to 350F (176 C) and prepare two parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
Now make your Chai spice coating by mixing all ingredients into a shallow bowl.
Remove cookie dough from freezer.
With a normal size tablespoon, scoop out one spoonful of dough. Press 2 small chocolate chunks into the dough and roll into a ball.
Next gently place cookie ball into bowl of coating. Turning until completely covered with a light layer of Chai spices.
Continue forming cookie dough balls and placing 1.5 in. apart on cookie sheets.
Bake 15-20 min or until a crack appears across the top of the cookies. Let cool on rack for 5 min before eating.
*Warning* These cookies are highly addictive and people have been known to eat the entire tray!!