Chai Cookies made with dark chocolate chunks is my gift to all you chocolate and chai lovers. A gluten free take on a spiced chocolate chunk cookie. Melted dark chocolate gooey center with a light crunch of a chai spice and sugar coating.
Chai tea lattes are my most ordered barista concoction. I just love the mixture of spices. If you’ve never had a chocolate chai tea latte, I suggest you run to your nearest coffee shop and get one. Otherwise just make a batch of cookies!
Recipe for Chai Spice?
Mix the following ingredients into a bowl and stir with a fork!
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Tips for Making Double Chocolate Chai Cookies:
- Mix your chai spice before starting. You will probably have some left over, just transfer to an air tight container and store with your spices for later use.
- Begin your cookie dough by simply hand whisking wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
- Mix ingredients together in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment.
- The cookie dough will resemble cake batter at first and needs time to chill and firm.
- Freeze your dough for 30 minutes or chill in the fridge for a couple hours before rolling into balls.
- Use baking quality dark chocolate chunks.
- Scoop cookie dough with a small ice cream scoop or measure 1.5 tablespoons with a spoon.
- Roll dough into a ball with your hands, then push three chocolate chunks into the center.
- Reshape dough ball, roll in sugar chai to coat and then set on baking tray.
- Place dough balls 1.5 inches apart and then bake.
- The cookies will spread into larger fatter ‘cookie bomb’ balls. They will not be large flat cookies.
- Once baked, let cool for a couple of minutes then eat warm!
Double Chocolate Chai Cookies
Double Chocolate Chai Cookies are gluten free cookies. Almond flour base with a chocolatey center and a light chai sugar coating.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 20 cookies
- 1 cup (115 g) Almond Flour
- 1 cup (100 g) Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ cup ( 125 ml) Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 1 cup ( 200 g) Raw Sugar
- 2 ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- ¼ teaspoon Finely Ground Black Pepper
- Hand whisk together all dry ingredients and transfer to bowl stand mixer.
- In a separate bowl thoroughly stir together all wet ingredients.(let melted coconut oil cool to room temperature first)
- Add wet ingredients into mixer bowl.
- Use paddle attachment at medium speed until well blended. (may need to take spatula and push mixture down from sides and a couple strokes across the bottom) Dough will resemble a chocolate cake batter.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for about 30 min or until dough has firmed. (just enough to resemble regular cookie dough texture, don't freeze solid)
- Preheat oven to 350F (176 C) and prepare two parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- Now make your Chai spice coating by mixing all ingredients into a shallow bowl.
- Remove cookie dough from freezer.
- With a normal size tablespoon, scoop out one spoonful of dough. Press 2 small chocolate chunks into the dough and roll into a ball.
- Next gently place cookie ball into bowl of coating. Turning until completely covered with a light layer of Chai spices.
- Continue forming cookie dough balls and placing 1.5 in. apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 15-20 min or until a crack appears across the top of the cookies. Let cool on rack for 5 min before eating.
*Warning* These cookies are highly addictive and people have been known to eat the entire tray!!
did you make this recipe?Mention @twocupsflour or tag #twocupsflour!