This recipe for Homemade Easy Chocolate Brownies is for all the brownie lovers out there! Do you get chocolate cravings like I do? Where you’re searching your pantry and fridge for just a sliver of dark chocolate or leftover dessert? When the sweet tooth strikes, its not something that’s easily ignored. Especially when I have brownies on the brain!
All you need to make delicious gooey brownies is the ingredients, a couple bowls, and a baking pan. No mixer, or extra equipment require. Ok, maybe a spoon or two 🙂
Grab some dark chocolate, dark brown sugar, espresso powder, and sea salt! You are going to be so excited to devour these moist gooey melted chocolate brownies in under an hour. What makes them even better is a drizzle of dark chocolate sauce and a sprinkle of sea salt. Yep, salted dark chocolate brownies are so delicious!!
Tips for Easy Chocolate Brownies
- Use baking quality dark chocolate chunks for the brownies and sauce.
- Pour hot unsalted butter on your sugar and chocolate to melt down the chocolate.
- Stir chocolate butter mixture with a rubber spatula until room temperature, before adding in eggs.
- Mix in half the flour mixture into the melted chocolate at a time, stirring until creamy with small chocolate chunks.
- The trick to getting a gooey chocolate center is not melting the chocolate chunks all the way!
- I added 1 tsp of espresso powder and 1 tsp of vanilla extract, but feel free to experiment with amount for your own personal taste preference 🙂
- Line your brownie pan with parchment paper that folds over two sides, so you can lift cooled brownies from the pan without tearing them. Lifting the brownies and setting them on the counter, makes it easier to slice them into squares.
What Makes Brownies Chewy?
- No baking soda or baking powder in the batter
- Lots of Butter!
- Using brown sugar. For this recipe I chose dark brown sugar, because when baked it adds a slight caramel flavor. You can substitute for light brown sugar as well.
- Stirring by hand! Using a mixer incorporated too much air into the batter an makes them more of a cake texture.
- Shorter baking time. Remember these are fudgey brownies not cake brownies, so you want a soft chocolatey chewy center.
How to Tell When Brownies Are Done Baking?
- The brownies should have a crispy top with small cracks. You should also see a crust forming where the batter touches the pan.
- When you insert a toothpick into the center of your brownies it should come out dirty, with moist crumbs and a little melted chocolate. (not a completely coated wet toothpick) You will not have a clean toothpick.
- Remember these are fudgey brownies, not cake 🙂 You want a gooey center!
How Long Do Brownies Need to Cool?
- These are fudgey brownies, so remember to let them cool all the way to set. They will be soft and chocolatey in the center, with a few chocolate chunks, yum!!
- Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting them from the pan. Place parchment paper with brownies onto rack to cool completely. Then move to counter or surface to cut into squares.
- If you can’t lift the brownies from the pan easily after 10 minutes with the parchment paper, they may be under-baked.
When to Cut Brownies?
- Fudgey Brownies are ready to cut when they are completely cooled. You can eat them sooner but they may not hold their shape.
What Do You Top Brownies With?
- Drizzle with melted chocolate cream and sprinkle with sea salt for the best tasting brownies!!
How Do You Store Brownies?
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Can Brownies Be Frozen?
- Yes! You can freeze them as one large square or wrap them individually.
- To freeze the entire pan, let brownies completely cool in pan. Place pan in the fridge for 2-3 hrs to chill. Lift brownies from pan with parchment paper. Wrap twice with plastic wrap and then twice with aluminum foil. Place in freezer.
- To freeze individual brownies, cool completely then wrap each piece in plastic wrap twice and then twice in aluminum foil.
- Frozen brownies will keep for about 2 months.
- To enjoy a frozen brownie, place on counter to thaw completely. Then microwave for about 10 seconds for a warm gooey chocolate brownie.
Easy Chocolate Brownies
- 1 Cup (128 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 12 Tbsp Unsalted Butter melted
- 2 Cups (300 g) Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar Lightly Packed
- 1 Cup (200 grams) Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Espresso Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup (150 g) Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 1/4 Cup (62.5 ml) Heavy Cream
- 1-2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Sea Salt Flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C).
- Line an 9 inch square brownie pan with parchment paper, let paper hang over sides.
- In a medium bowl, hand whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a separate medium-large bowl combine dark chocolate chunks, dark brown sugar, and hot melted butter.
- Stir with a rubber spatula until sugar is melted and chocolate chunks are mostly melted.
- Let chocolate mixture cool to almost room temperature before adding eggs. Stir in eggs, espresso powder and vanilla until mixed.
- Spoon in half the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture, stirring with spatula until well mixed. Repeat with remaining flour mixture.
- Scoop batter into brownie pan and level with spatula.
- Bake in middle to lowest rack for 35-40 minutes. Brownies will be soft in the middle and firm as they cool.
- Let brownies completely cool before lifting from pan.
- Heat heavy cream and pour onto chocolate chunks. Stir until becomes a creamy chocolate sauce.
- Add powdered sugar and stir with fork until thick! More sugar makes a thicker sauce, and less will keep it thin. Add sugar and stir until you reach desired thickness.
- Drizzle onto cooled brownies. Sprinkle with sea salt.