Its getting colder outside, which means I’m craving more warm sweet drinks to sip on in the evening. Rich Spiked French Hot Chocolate made with dark bittersweet chocolate and flavorful spiced rum is all I need to stay warm. Why use instant processed packs when you can make the best creamy chocolatey cup of hot cocoa from scratch. This easy to make French sipping chocolate is an adult recipe, with a great flavor to enjoy all winter long.
French Hot Chocolate
What is french hot chocolate? Well, its a rich creamy, thicker variation that is known as Chocolat Chaud. It’s my favorite style of chocolate drink in comparison to the thinner American version made with cocoa powder and milk.
The key to the velvety texture is to gently simmer and stir the ingredients until the chocolate is completely melted. It will thicken some as it cools, so best served nice and hot!
The French style hot chocolate uses whole milk with melted superior chocolate. A smooth, decadent Parisian style winter cocoa can be topped with whipped cream. Though I prefer a nice melted marshmallow topper myself.
Dark or Bittersweet Chocolate
I’m using dark chocolate for a nice bittersweet note instead of the overly sweet milk chocolate. The most important thing when choosing your chocolate is to use the highest quality bar you can find.
Spiced Rum Cream
Spiced Rum is the ultimate spiking choice for this hot chocolate. I partnered with Blue Chair Bay Rum to bring you a cozy winter cocoa and I knew immediately that I want to incorporate their Coconut Spiced Rum Cream. A creamy Caribbean rum boasting notes of coconut enhanced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. It’s adds the perfect holiday spice notes to the rich dark chocolate.
I’m all about using quality ingredients in my recipes and Blue Chair Bay Rum is just that. Made with sugar cane molasses and all natural ingredients, their barrel aged rum is deliciously smooth. I keep my kitchen stocked with several flavors at all times. And this spiced rum cream is finding its way into many concoctions.
Light Brown Sugar
Adding in a bit of light brown sugar for just enough sweetness.
Tips for Success
- Use full fat whole milk.
- High quality dark or bittersweet chocolate with at least 70% cocoa will give you the best flavor.
- Don’t rush the process, take your time and let that chocolate melt slowly.
- Mix in a little espresso powder if you like to enhance the chocolate.
- Coconut Spiced Rum doesn’t give off a strong coconut flavor, instead it has hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves! So, go ahead and enjoy those warm spices.
- This spiked hot chocolate is best served immediately, so have your mugs ready.
This Recipe is Sponsored by Blue Chair Bay Rum. All thoughts and text are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help make Two Cups Flour possible.
French Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups (720 g) whole milk
- 8 ounces dark chocolate 70% chopped chocolate bar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ¼ cup (60 g) Blue Chair Bay Coconut Spiced Rum Cream
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the milk, cream, sugar, cinnamon, espresso powder and rum. Bring to a simmer over medium to medium low heat. Just enough to bubble slightly but a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the chopped chocolate and let it stand for a couple minutes to melt the chocolate. Whisk until smooth, then pour into warmed mugs.
- Top with a marshmallow and serve.