Coconut Cake made with coconut milk, coconut sugar, cake flour, and freshly toasted coconut chips. This cake is absolutely hands down the best coconut cake recipe for coconut lovers!
You may think I’ve gone a little overboard with everything coconut, but you will be surprised how light and flavorful this cake truly is. Coconut is used in so many desserts as a secondary ingredient. Well, its time to shine this tropical delight front and center. For this recipe I broke down fresh coconuts, sliced, and toasted the chips for my topping. If you don’t have time for this, simply substitute with sweetened coconut flakes or toast pre-sliced chips from the store.
What is Cake Flour?
Cake Flour is fine textured and bleached flour, with a low protein content. Best for creating a super soft well risen bake.
How do you Toast Coconut Chips?
- Take raw clean coconut meat and peel into chips with veggie peeler.
- Alternatively you can purchase coconut chips from the store.
- Place onto lines baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 F for 5-10 min until golden and crispy.
- Make sure to spread them around a few times during baking with a spatula, for even baking.
- Let cool!
How to make Coconut Cake Icing:
- Start with room temperature cream cheese and butter.
- Beat together in a large bowl with hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in coconut extract.
- Slowly spoon in powdered sugar and whip until desired thickness.
Can I make this Homemade Coconut Cake into a Two Layer or Sheet Cake?
Of course, just split the batter into two 9 or 10 inch pans for round cakes. To make a sheet cake, use entire batter in 9 x 13 inch pan.
*Before assembling your cake, I suggest freezing the cooled layers for 30-40 min to help firm before stacking. This helps the delicate cake flour texture to withstand the manipulation of layering and icing.* Once assembled store cake in the fridge.
Ultimate Coconut Cake
Coconut Cake Batter
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup (105 g) coconut oil melted and cooled
- ¾ cup (150 g) coconut sugar
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- ¼ cup (61.25 g) vanilla greek yogurt
- 3 ½ cups (385 g) cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ¼ tsp coconut extract
- 3 cups (600 g) powdered sugar more as needed
- 3 cups (300 g) toasted coconut chips (may substitute for sweetened coconut flakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C) and prepare three 8 inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, add sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Use a hand whisk to mix and then set aside.
- Place softened butter in a large bowl. Using hand mixer beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in coconut oil and sugars. Mix until well combined.
- Pour in egg whites, coconut milk, greek yogurt, and coconut extract. Continue to whip until smooth.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture.
- Work ingredients together to make a smooth creamy batter.
- Divide batter amongst the cake pans.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place pans on cooling rack for 10 min.
- Remove from pans by flipping upside down onto a plate.
- Freeze layers for 30-40 min before assembling.
- Make sure cream cheese and butter are room temperature, otherwise mixture will curdle or look like cottage cheese.
- Add cream cheese and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Pour in coconut extract.
- Slowly spoon in powdered sugar will mixing on medium low.
- Use spatula to scrape across the bottom and sides of bowl.
- Then turn up to medium high and mix thoroughly.
- Place a dollop of frosting onto cake serving dish.
- Trip domes off each layer to create a level top.
- Place first layer down onto dish.
- Cover top generously with frosting.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Flip top layer upside down and place onto frosted second layer.
- Cover sides and top with frosting.
- Smooth with a bench scraper or spatula.
- Cover sides and top with coconut chips.