Cherry Coconut Crisp is full of fresh Rainier and Sweet Red Cherries, topped with a coconut almond crisp. This gluten free recipe is great when you don’t have time to make a pie crust, but want a similar dessert!
Now I’m a sucker for a good homemade cherry pie, but I don’t always have time to bake one from scratch. Hence the super easy and yummy Cherry Coconut Crisp recipe. Simple ingredients that just need a quick stir before you add them to your baking dish.
What are Rainier Cherries?
A yellow cherry with a bright red blush accent. Rainier has a delicately sweet flavored yellow flesh.
How to pick the right cherries for your Cherry Coconut Crisp:
- Sweet cherries are very delicate and should be handled carefully to avoid bruising.
- Avoid shriveled or soft cherries.
- Taste a couple to see if they are sweet or bitter.
- Don’t place them in the sun or super warm location or they will quickly shrivel.
- Refrigerate immediately after purchase to stay fresh for several days.
Can I freeze Cherries?
Cherries that have the stem removed and pitted can be frozen for later use. In a large bowl add 1/3 cup of sugar for each pint of cherries. Toss or gently stir for an even coating. Place in air tight container or freezer bags, removing excess air. Place in freezer!
Cherry Coconut Crisp
- 2 ½ cups (565 g) fresh rainier and sweet cherries pitted and halved
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (50 g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (20 g) flaked coconut
- ¼ cup (17.5 g) sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp oats
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted and cooled
Preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C)
In a large bowl, gently stir together the filling ingredients, making sure cherry halves are well coated. Pour into oven safe 6 inch baking dish.
Using the same bowl, combine all crisp ingredients until a moist crumble is formed. Sprinkle and spread the crumble on top of the cherry filling.
Place dish on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and then cover the top loosely with aluminum foil. Return to oven and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. Crisp is ready when the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!