Cherry Crisp is full of fresh Rainier and Sweet Red Cherries, topped with a coconut almond crisp. This gluten free recipe is great when you don’t have time to make a pie crust, but want a similar dessert!
Now I’m a sucker for a good homemade cherry pie, but I don’t always have time to bake one from scratch. Hence the super easy and yummy Cherry Crisp recipe. Simple ingredients that just need a quick stir before you add them to your baking dish.
What are Rainier Cherries?
A yellow cherry with a bright red blush accent. Rainier has a delicately sweet flavored yellow flesh.
How to pick the right cherries for your Cherry Crisp:
- Sweet cherries are very delicate and should be handled carefully to avoid bruising.
- Avoid shriveled or soft cherries.
- Taste a couple to see if they are sweet or bitter.
- Don’t place them in the sun or super warm location or they will quickly shrivel.
- Refrigerate immediately after purchase to stay fresh for several days.
Can I freeze Cherries?
Cherries that have the stem removed and pitted can be frozen for later use. In a large bowl add 1/3 cup of sugar for each pint of cherries. Toss or gently stir for an even coating. Place in air tight container or freezer bags, removing excess air. Place in freezer!
- 2 ½ cups (565 g) fresh rainier and sweet cherries pitted and halved
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup (50 g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (20 g) flaked coconut
- ¼ cup (17.5 g) sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp oats
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C)
- In a large bowl, gently stir together the filling ingredients, making sure cherry halves are well coated. Pour into oven safe 6 inch baking dish.
- Using the same bowl, combine all crisp ingredients until a moist crumble is formed. Sprinkle and spread the crumble on top of the cherry filling.
- Place dish on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and then cover the top loosely with aluminum foil. Return to oven and continue to bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. Crisp is ready when the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!