Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies don’t need much of introduction, because the name speaks for itself. Big soft gingerbread cookies with a light chocolate flavor and a dusting of powdered sugar will be devoured in no time. Eat them plain, dip in milk, or sandwich together with ice cream or caramel. Either way you dress them up, these cookies are a definite baking favorite.
I love the taste of Gingerbread, but prefer soft cookies to crispy ginger snaps ( I save ginger snaps for tart crust!) So, for this recipe I combined dark cocoa powder, pumpkin, spice, and molasses for a richer version of the classic gingerbread cookie. With a quick mix of ingredients, these babies will be baked and ready to eat in under 20 minutes. Get your glass of milk poured!!
Tips for Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies:
- Cream butter and sugar together for a smooth cookie dough.
- Make sure the butter is room temperature and not melted.
- To achieve room temperature butter I have 2 options. Number One is to set butter on the counter for 2-3 hrs prior to baking. Number Two is to microwave for 10-12 seconds to slightly soften. Cold butter will result in uneven chunks. Melted butter will alter the soft consistency of the final cookies.
- Use light brown sugar for better flavor.
- Scoop dough with a 2 TBSP Ice cream scoop for big cookies.
- No need to flatten the cookie dough balls, they will spread as they bake!
- Under bake your cookies a couple minutes for a melt in the mouth texture.
- Lightly dust with powdered sugar for a hint of sweetness.
- Make ice cream sandwiches with your favorite flavor, wrap and keep in the freezer.
- Drizzle or stack together with Homemade Caramel Sauce for a yummy fall dessert.
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 Cups (256 g) All Purpose Flour sifted
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1/3 Cup (30 g) Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 12 Tbsp Unsalted Butter softened at room temperature
- 3/4 Cup (150 g) Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup ( 85 g) Molasses
- Preheat Oven to 350 F (180 C). Line two cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, ginger, pumpkin spice, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat together the butter and brown sugar, using whisk attachment at medium high speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of mixer bowl with spatula as needed.
- Pour molasses and eggs into stand mixer. Whisk until combined.
- Slowly spoon dry mixture into wet, continuing on medium speed until well incorporated.
- Scoop cookie dough with 2 Tbsp Ice Cream scoop onto cookie sheet. Spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until cookies have flattened and edges are beginning to harden.
- Set cookies on cooling rack for 5 minutes before eating.