Peach Blueberry Pie is the perfect late summer dessert. Buttery crust filled with fresh blueberries and peaches served late afternoon on a warm day. Trying not to be to cliche, but come on you have to admit homemade pie is what summer fruit is for. I have a known addiction for anything peach. If you look through my recipes its a reoccurring ingredient. Especially when it comes to desserts, peach is hands down my favorite, even above chocolate. Craziness, I know!
But, for this pie recipe I decided to add fresh blueberries for another layer of flavor and color contrast. Did you know that blue and orange are complimentary colors? Meaning when paired together they natural contrast and balance each other. So not only are they aesthetically pleasing, the taste of peach with blueberries is wonderfully delicious. Add in a little cinnamon, nutmeg, some vanilla and we have a delightful summer pie.
What you need to make Peach Blueberry Pie:
- 2 Homemade Pie Crust Dough (one for bottom layer and one for lattice)
- 3 Cups Peeled , Pit Removed, and Sliced Fresh Yellow Peaches
- 1.5 Cups Fresh Blueberries
- Pastry Cutter
- 10 inch Pie Pan
How Do You Make a Lattice Pie Crust?
- Roll out dough onto lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness
- Using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut 1 inch strips
- Set 10 strips aside
- Take leftover dough and form a ball
- Roll out again to 1/8 inch thickness
- Cut 1/4 inch strips
- Lay a thick strip then a thin strip, alternating across the top of pie filling
- Repeat one strip at a time in opposite direction
- Alternating over and under the bottom layer
- Cut off ends of lattice hanging over
- Gently press edges of lattice into rim of pie dish
- Refrigerate pie for 10 minutes to firm crust before baking
Peach Blueberry Pie
Peach Blueberry Pie is the perfect late summer dessert. Buttery crust filled with fresh blueberries and peaches, seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Make Two Crusts
- 2 ½ cups (320 g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 16 Tbsp Cold Unsalted Butter cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) ice water 1/4-1/2 depending on how dough absorbs
- 3 Cups (675 g) Fresh Peach Slices peeled and pit removed
- 1 1/2 Cups (225 g) Fresh Blueberries
- 1/3 Cup (43 g) All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup (255 g) Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
Cinnamon Sugar Sprinle
- ¼ cup (85 g) Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
Sift flour into bowl, whisk in sugar and salt. Add butter pieces and begin squeezing them into the flour, mixture with your hands or use a pastry cutter. Continue working the butter until it resembles cornmeal with small pieces of butter.
Pour in the ice water. Knead the dough 2 or 3 times on a lightly floured surface and pat into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Place the two pie crust dough balls in the fridge for two 30 min to an hour to chill. (Can make the day before, set on counter an hour before making pie to soften)
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
Remove pie crust dough from the fridge.
On a lightly floured surface roll out one pie crust to 1/8 inch thickness.
Transfer to pie pan. Gently lift sides and press dough into edges of pan, allowinf excess to hang over the sides.
Trim extra dough, leaving a half inch flap hanging over rim of pie pan.
Spoon filling into crust and place pie in the fridge.
Roll out second pie crust and cut into ½ inch and ¼ inch strips.
Remove pie from fridge.
Using alternating sized strips weave lattice pattern across pie filling. (See notes and pictures above)
Trim excess dough from the sides. Place pie back in the fridge for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 F (204 C)
Prepare Egg Wash and Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkle.
Stir one egg with 1 tbsp of water.
Mix 1/4 cup sugar with 1 Tbsp Cinnamon.
Remove Pie from fridge and brush lattice with egg wash.
Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar across pie. (save remaining for another pie)
Bake 40-45 minutes until crust is golden brown and pie filling is bubbling.
Place on wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream!