When I think of holiday get togethers, delish desserts and cocktails are the first thing that come to mind. I know there will be good savory dishes, but honestly I want a festive cocktail and a delicious sweet treat! Pretty sure Tiramisu Cake and a boozy eggnog sound perfect for a winter celebration.
Let’s first start with the major flavor profile for this after hours adult dessert and spirits combo. I love a flavored cream liquor and coconut has always been close to my tastebuds. So, when Blue Chair Bay Rum asked me to create something fun with their Blue Chair Bay Coconut Spiced Rum Cream I jumped at the chance! Yes, friends this Tiramisu Cake and Eggnog are flavored with coconut rum cream!!!
Blue Chair Bay Rum is made in the Caribbean and full of island flavor. An array of delicious rum and cream rums that can be added to your favorite cocktail or dessert recipe. The holiday coconut spiced rum cream is blended with real cream and holiday spices.
Tiramisu is an Italian dessert made with coffee soaked layers of sponge cake and a brandy or liquor mascarpone cream with a dusting of cocoa. Most often the sponge cake is made up of lady fingers, but for this recipe I went with thick and fluffy vanilla genoise cake. The genoise absorbs the espresso like sponge, but keeps a light airy texture.
For the cake frosting, a mixture of mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, powdered sugar and coconut spiced rum cream create an amazingly smooth and delicious balance to the cake. Oh yeah, just add that rum cream right into the frosting! Every bite is a magical experience of coffee and coconut rum!!
Now, to add a cocktail pairing I knew I wanted to use the classic holiday favorite eggnog. Mix eggnog with a shot of espresso and a few ounces of rum cream and its time to party. The combo of tiramisu, coconut rum, and eggnog are something you must try.
Tips for Tiramisu Cake:
- Gently fold you cake flour into . whipped egg mixture with figure eight strokes and a loop around the edges until cake flour is absorbed. Don’t stir.
- Once cake layers are cool, you can wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
- Make sure cream cheese and mascarpone are room temperature before making frosting.
- Fee free to adjust the amount of Blue Chair Bay Coconut Spiced Rum Cream to your taste liking.
- Tiramisu cake is best enjoyed within 2 days of assembling. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Cake Flour
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
Coconut Spiced Rum Cream Frosting
- 16 ounces Mascarpone Cheese room temperature
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- 3 ounces Coconut Spice Rum Cream
- 5 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Cup Freshly Brewed Espresso
- Whipped Cream piped
- Cocoa Powder for dusting
- Prepare three 6 inch cake pans with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment on medium high speed whip eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy. (about 10 minutes) Mixture should triple in volume.
- Remove bowl for mixer and carefully fold in sifted cake flour a third at a time. Divide batter evenly between all three cake pans.
- Place cake pans on a cookie sheet and bake on middle rack for 20-22 minutes until slightly golden on the edges.
- Place cakes on cooling rack to cool completely before removing from cake pans.
Coconut Spiced Rum Cream Frosting
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment on medium speed, whip mascarpone and cream cheese until fluffy and smooth.
- Add Coconut Spiced Rum Cream and one cup of powdered sugar. Mix until incorporated.
- Scrape bottom and sides of bowl as needed.
- Add remaining cups of powdered sugar one at a time and mix until thick and smooth.
Espresso Soak and Assemble
- Place one cooled layer of cake onto desired serving plate.
- Brew one cup of fresh espresso and grab a pastry brush.
- Dip pastry brush into espresso and generously paint the top of the first cake layer. The espresso will soak through the cake and be absorbed. You can do as much or as little as you like. Just make sure not to overly soak the cake.
- Next, cover the top of the first cake layer with a generous layer of Coconut Spiced Rum Cream Frosting.
- Repeat espresso soak and frosting layer with remaining two cake layers.
- Apply a think layer of frosting around sides of cake and smooth with offset spatula or bench scraper.
- Pipe whipped cream with desired piping tip around top rim of cake. Sift cocoa powder on the top of cake.
- Place cake in the fridge to firm for 3-4hrs. Slice and serve.
- 2 ounces Eggnog
- 2 ounces Coconut Spiced Rum Cream
- 1.5 ounce Espresso
- Ground Nutmeg sprinkle
- Star Anise whole laced on top
- Add espresso to lightly iced glass.
- Mix eggnog and rum cream together and pour into glass.
- Garnish with a light sprinkle of nutmeg and a star anise (optional).
*These Recipes are Sponsored by Blue Chair Bay Rum. All thoughts and text are my own. Thank you for supporting the companies that help make Two Cups Flour possible.