I just made the softest most irresistible Chocolate Chip Muffins with tops like bakery style muffins!! Yes, I licked the batter from the bowl, its that good. This airy chocolate muffins recipe is flavored with melted dark chocolate, brown sugar, and extra chocolate chips. Not sure if they should classify as breakfast or dessert, but I could care less…just eat them!!!!
What’s the secret to a perfect muffin top? Well, its the baking technique and the placement of the batter in the muffin tin. First, make sure to use a 12 well muffin tin, so you can get more muffins done at once. Then, fill every other well completely full of batter. By leaving some of the tin empty, it allows more warm air to travel between each muffin.
Bake at 425 F for 5 minutes, then pull your tray slightly out of the oven, far enough that you can sprinkle with extra chocolate chips. The high temp creates an early rise in your batter for those domed muffin tops. Slide back into the oven, lower temperature to 350 F for 23-25 minutes. Muffins are baked when they spring back softly when poked with your finger.
Eat these fluffy chocolate chip muffins warm and let me know what you think!!
Tips for Amazing Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Butter the top and individual muffin tin wells. (you can also give a light coating of baking spray)
- Use All Purpose Enriched Flour for a super tender crumb!!! (trust me its worth it)
- Light brown sugar adds moisture and flavor, don’t substitute.
- Use melted, but still warm coconut oil.
- Add the solid dark chocolate to the warm coconut oil, stir until melted and creamy. (Use baking quality dark chocolate.)
- Combine melted butter, coconut oil with dark chocolate, and the sugar mixing until smooth.
- Add eggs, milk, and vanilla then mix again.
- Spoon in your flour mixture while mixing on low until a perfect batter is formed.
- Fold in chocolate chips, saving some to top the muffins.
- Make sure to follow temperature settings for perfect rounded muffins!
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 Cups (384 g) Enriched All Purpose Flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ⅓ Cup (83 ml) Coconut Oil melted and warm
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter melted
- ¼ Cup (45 g) Dark Chocolate Chunks melted
- 1 Cup (200 g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Milk
- 2 Eggs stirred with a fork
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups (262.5 g) Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips more for topping
- Preheat Oven to 425 F (218 C)and prepare muffin tin by buttering the top and individual muffin tin wells. (You can also give a light coating of baking spray or muffin tin liners.)
- In a medium bowl hand whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil, butter, and dark chocolate together, then stir.
- Pour melted mixture into bowl of stand mixer onto light brown sugar.
- Using paddle attachment mix on medium low until smooth.
- Add milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix again until creamy.
- Staying on medium low speed, spoon in flour mixture until a batter is formed.Scrape sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Fold in semi sweet chocolate chips with large spoon or spatula.
- Spoon batter into every other muffin well, filling to the very top.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with extra chocolate chips.
- Then lower oven temperature to 350 F (176 C).
- Bake an additional 23-25 minutes until muffin tops spring back when gently pressed with finger.
- Let cool for 4-5 minutes in muffin pan, then gently twist and lift.
- Place on cooling rack.
- Repeat with any remaining batter.