Banana Muffins are a personal favorite and I’ve been looking for a way to add more flavor. Cue the roasted plum puree and chocolate chips! YES!! Before you say whaaa?..trust me these muffins are moist, fruity and packed with chocolatey goodness.
I’m talking big fluffy addictive breakfast or anytime snack you won’t be able to turn down. Make the Roasted Plum Puree the same day or day before. Plum Puree makes the moist banana muffins even better. Then, all you need is 30 minutes for prep and baking time to get your tastebuds on a warm chocolate plum banana muffin!!
Now, the hard part is deciding between making jumbo or small muffins. I suggest going for jumbo. It helps when I tell myself, I only ate one:) Either way make sure to have a big glass of milk handy.
Tips for Plum Banana Muffins
- Don’t bake chocolate chip muffins on an empty stomach..there might not be any left!
- Make Roasted Plum Puree prior and store in fridge.
- If you don’t like or want to use plum puree, substitute with applesauce or apple butter.
- Use over ripe mushy bananas with stronger flavor!
- Not a fan of almond extract, no worries! Use 1 tsp of vanilla extract for recipe instead.
- This recipe make 6 large muffins or 12 small muffins. I chose to use the big muffin wrappers and space them every other cup in the muffin pan. This allows more airflow between the muffins for a bigger rise and top!
- Fill your muffin wrappers to the level of the tray for the larger ones and 3/4 full in the smaller wrappers.
- I chose to use chocolate morsels, because they are bigger and give more melted chocolate per bite! Feel free to switch out for small chocolate chips.
- Bake you muffins on the lowest rack to prevent burning the tops. Rotate tray halfway during baking for even cooking.
- Let muffins cool 5-8 minutes on rack before devouring!!
Chocolate Chip Plum Banana Muffins
- 2 Mashed Bananas overripe
- 1/2 Cup (125 g) Roasted Plum Puree *see link in post
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 Cup (100 g) Light Brown Sugar gently packed
- 1 1/2 Cups Plus 2 Tbsp (222 g) Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup ( 150 g) Chocolate Morsels or Chips
Preheat Oven to 375 F (190 C). Place 6 large or 12 small muffin wrappers in muffin tray.
In bowl of stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip together mashed bananas, plum puree, eggs, vanilla and almond extract. (Medium-High Speed)
Using a separate bowl hand whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
Spoon flour mixture into banana plum mixture continuing on medium high speed until well blended. (scrape sides and bottom of bowl as needed.)
Remove bowl from mixer and fold half of the chocolate morsels into the batter.
Spoon the batter into muffin wrappers. (3/4 full)
Top each muffin with extra chocolate morsels.
Bake for 15-18 minutes and golden brown or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
(you may get some melted chocolate on your toothpick and that's ok) (if you press your finger tips on muffin top and it springs back, they should be baked)
Place muffin tray on cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Remove muffins from tray and eat warm!